The Last Jedi thread (spoilers inside)

I saw it in a theater with reclining seats and a big screen for $6/ticket. Approximately same size screen and ticket price as when I went to see Star Wars in '77. Overall, a better value than that first time.

I don’t see the point in getting all indignant about science fiction movies, except for the fact that you usually have to see them nowadays on shitty little screens. That’s something to get really angry about. Even crappy sci fi movies (westerns too!), when viewed on a really big screen, are glorious.

3 Likes

Page turners they were not…

1 Like

The 2nd time I saw Blade Runner 2049 in the theater, it was a 3D IMAX showing. The stereoscopy was done very well. And IMHO it’s a GREAT sci-fi movie. OH MY GOD what a great experience!!! :smiley:

When I was a kid it was just a given that the future of cinema was 70mm film and 100-foot-wide screens. That’s 50s technology.

IMAX is great – I owned stock in the company for a while – but bigscreen shouldn’t be a boutique thing.

3 Likes

You have interesting thoughts. One observation re. this one:

After seeing them in the trailer (beside a CGI Chewie!), I thought ugh.
In fact they weren’t shoved in our face too much - I was expecting them to get baby-Groot style adulation - so wasn’t too bothered. Then, I read on the IMDB trivia page for TLJ that they were originally introduced because Skellig Micheal, the Irish island where Luke hides and they originate, is covered with nesting puffins, and they were in all the shots… and apparently it was easier to CGI them into something else than to digitally remove them!
Dunno if that’s quite true, but it made them a little more palatable to me.

Side notes:

• Did anyone else think the “caretaker” Deep One-style aliens on said island looked suspiciously like the big fish that Luke speared on his fishing expedition?
  • Peter Mayhew was listed in the credits as “Chewbacca consultant.” Nice.

ETA: I see @agies has already posted the puffin background info, sorry

2 Likes

Some good criticism.

3 Likes

I guess that was Episode I, which I never saw. I thought you meant “mitochondrians.”

Oh sweet summer child. Never change. :smiley:

Edit: Yes, midichlorians are an episode 1 thing.

1 Like

Since the thread (and to some, the question if Ep. VIII is worth watching) is open again, I think I can safely presume we all need some comic relief.

Disclaimer: haven’t watched, yet. Hope it is comic relief…

3 Likes

I haven’t watched it yet either but she earned some respect from me for her original Lonely Island collaboration:

(Can anybody else name all the influences in this song?)

2 Likes

Watched both now. Fits this thread. I chuckled more than once, and the drowned doctor is gold.

From the comments:
https://youtu.be/o9bww6R3qDs

I had a cheap keyboard in the beginning of the 1990s which arrived sounded exactly like this. Did not know Porg stood for pseudo-Korg.

Btw, worst creature job ever in a SW film: the toasted Porg. Frank Oz and Jim Henson shall haunt the person who did this, they shall!

1 Like
3 Likes

The link in the link is something to behold…

Had my second viewing at the weekend, enjoyed lots (that additional perspective when you’re not concentrating so much on the story… always a pleasure).

What really jumped out for me was how damn good Mark Hammill’s performance was, now that I knew/understood better where he was going with it. Some of his moods and mannerisms make much better sense when seen through the prism of his ultimate actions.

Now to leave it for, ooh, another 18 months before enjoying the third viewing!

3 Likes