"The Last of Us" irresponsibly promotes a fear of mushrooms

Beatrix Potter, a rejected mycologist

4 Likes

And these dudes.
images (2)

2 Likes
6 Likes

I came here to say the same. How is this “irresponsible”? Does @pesco think Armageddon or Don’t Look Up irresponsibly promote fear of asteroid impacts?

Nobody is being hurt by the writers’ artistic exaggeration.

1 Like

You have to look at the diplomatic implications. Tolerating blatant mycophobic propaganda is going to harm human/fungal relations; and my completely friendly and in no way implicitly threatening advice is that that that would be a poor move on humanity’s part.

3 Likes

Huh, I always heard that they were being confused for the paddy straw mushroom, Volvariella volvacea, but that article makes a great case for A. princeps makes a lot more sense. In any case, a great reminder that foraging knowledge is very local.

Whatever you say, @fuzzyfungus :grimacing:

9 Likes

My only dissapointment is that i don’t seem to have transformed into a super fast hard to kill monster yet, i just keep climbing up high things when i have a headache.

Them nubbin aliens were horrific and really cool but have never been seen again. A crime in the Star Trek world

Thank you.
I’m sure it is not.
I have been reading boingboing for years and am a happy mutant but has avoided joining in for ages, Mushrooms made me do it

2 Likes

You know that you can respond to multiple people within a single comment, yeah?

5 Likes

Also this is obligatory:

4 Likes

I have no idea how this how idea any of this works

2 Likes
5 Likes

9 Likes

Trippy and creepy…

4 Likes

4 Likes

It does keep the BBS tidy.

@MrBobArcto you can either @ people you are responding like this

or even better you can quote part of the another post you want to reply to like this:

You quote by selecting the text you want to quote and a little quote command should appear at the selection for you to click like this:

You can use these tools to reply to many messages with one post

2 Likes

i have so many photos of fungi that look genital that i don’t have to get a life because that is what they look like.

Mushrooms have at least three genders, maybe more, the way they breed and grow should be studied by us humans way more than they are