The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom coming May 12th (new trailer)

Originally published at: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom coming May 12th (new trailer) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

The music at the end, when the logo is shown, reminds me of this place:

1 Like

It would be an understatement to say BoTW is a tough act to follow, and Nintendo do like to follow up amazing Zelda titles by piling weird Nintendo-y choices onto the original in a way that doesn’t tend to work for me. So I am actively managing my expectations.

By which I mean, I expect this to merely be the best game I’ll play this year, as opposed to in my whole life.

I’ll restrain myself from getting the special edition box set though, as my udders are quite sore from the Link’s Awakening and Skyward Sword re-milkings.

Out of the things hinted in the trailer, my official reactions are:

• New open world: hooray
  • New vehicles: ppthppthht
  • Skyward Sword business: pptht
  • New cut scenes: ppththppptthhtPPTHHPT ppth pp… ppttht.
  • Shadow of the Colossus-ery: now that could be good
2 Likes

Was the Link’s Awakening remake bad or just costly?

2 Likes

I thought it was great. It’s still Link’s Awakening, so it is still working within it’s Gameboy limits from a mechanics and gameplay standpoint, but it looks and sounds beautiful! It is a full priced game, but a lot of work went into the remake, so I don’t begrudge it.

ETA: just popped up in my news feed:

3 Likes

Good to hear. It’s probably one of my favourite games and I’ve been meaning to pick it up since I got a Switch.

2 Likes

I use a third party joy-con without motion, so I hope this skips things like the temples with required motion controls from BotW

For anyone that thinks the joy-cons are too small or get hand cramps from them, I STRONGLY recommend the Hori Split Pad. It makes things more normal controller sized, but no wireless, motion, NFC or vibration. I don’t think I’d be able to use the Switch undocked without them.

2 Likes

No it’s fine, and it is acceptable that they have my money. But paying to get a nice coat dry-cleaned isn’t the same thing as getting a new coat.

Also, it feels like they’re very deliberately running through all their overlooked B-sides while pretending not to hear everyone asking for Wind Waker.

5 Likes

I am just hoping that this will be at least half as weird as Majora’s Mask

4 Likes

That’s one I need to try. Somehow, I managed to miss nearly every Zelda game between Link’s Awakening and Twilight Princess (I played Foursword Adventures and a little bit of Ocarina of Time).

1 Like

Windwaker is the one main console one I’ve finished. Personally I’m hoping for Twilight Princess :smiley:

1 Like

I would happily pay $70 or whatever that Mario 3-pack cost for a Switch version of TP/WW/ and any other Zelda (Minish or Seasons/Time would be preferred though). Wouldn’t even think twice. It would need to be remastered - just let me play it.

1 Like

Minish Cap was just added to the Switch as part of their online expansion pack. I’m excited to check it out.

2 Likes

Is that the extra paid one or just the normal online one? I need to check.

If you haven’t done Minish cap, I would recommend that you get a list of the tokens. You can get that without spoiling too much, but there are several that are missable that are annoying.

It’s a blast of a game. If you’ve played a Link Between Worlds, it’s essentially a prototype for that.

And I’d still buy it in the 3-pack. I can’t believe they haven’t released WW/TP yet.

1 Like

The extra paid one. I have it because I have a kid that LOVES Animal Crossing (and I’m a big Mario Kart guy).

I’ll check it out. It would make a good afternoon game between the end of work and school pick up. I haven’t played A Link Between Worlds, but it’s on the list of things to play.

1 Like

It’s the extra paid one. The GB games are in the base version, GBA are in the extra tier. Minish is making it closer to worth it in my eyes, but it still really isn’t. Now, if they get the Genesis Shadowrun, I’ll be upgrading that subscription quickly.

1 Like

A Link Between Worlds is one that they really need to figure out a way to pry off of the 3DS - that game is so good and does so much that is interesting that it really deserves a life beyond that (now dead) platform

1 Like

Can it be emulated at all or is it one of those games that relies on the game systems itself to create the ideal experience?

1 Like

I know there is some 3ds emulation out there, but I have not really looked into it. Frequently though 3ds games don’t translate well just because of the dual screens and touch elements. In the case of Link Between Worlds it was also one of the few games that’s actually used 3d effectively - I frequently found myself switching into because it mad puzzles much clearer

Now all I really want to do is search around and look up 3ds emulation, but I need to be slightly more productive before I fall down that rabbit hole :joy:

1 Like