The legendary console Led Zeppelin used to record 'Stairway to Heaven' goes up for sale

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/28/the-legendary-console-led-zepp.html

6 Likes

Bonham’s Aution House? I wonder what their gavel sounds like?

14 Likes

They should have put this on the Voyager Golden records. It is one of mankind’s greatest achievements.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it cost six figures new, at least in current currency.

3 Likes

Well, I’m not buying it…

4 Likes

“How do I play the drums like Jon Bonham?”

You don’t.”

6 Likes

I believe Dave Grohl has the highest bid for the darn thing.

3 Likes

Is the word “bespoke” popular and being overused right now, or am I just suddenly recognizing it?

4 Likes

This article did remind me of this documentary. I really enjoyed it, apart from the Stevie Nicks track.

Yep, Dave should buy it.

6 Likes

Surely Dave Grohl could just wait until someone else buys it and then invite himself around to do a bit of session drumming. I’d certainly be happy to have him drop by.

2 Likes

Not going to make you sound like any of them.

2 Likes

A friend of mine from college worked hard for years and built his own studio, then sold his share of it and built another studio, and recently had to dismantle it and I guess part a lot of it out, not enough business for brick and mortar studios these days.

1 Like

And she’s buying the stairway to heaven console.

Nope, console just doesn’t fit on the end there.

4 Likes

Try “When the tape-head breaks” instead.

2 Likes

hopefully its usage will go the way of “twee” very very soon.

2 Likes

Should be in a museum of sorts…

2 Likes

Pretty sad if you ask me that this is ending up in an auction house.

A vintage desk (it’s a desk, not a console coz we’re Brits see…) should not be in a museum or in the hands of some Russian oligarch who has run out of toys to buy and needs another coke-snorting surface for his man-cave.

Llike a 300 y/old Stradavarius, an analogue desk like this is a finely matured instrument, and should be put back into service.

As Aristotle used to say, the best flutes belong in the hands of the best flute players…

1 Like

Led Zep recorded “Stairway to Heaven” in 1971. How did they use this console if it was built in 1996?

My favorite usage is now 20 years along…

ec

This is a great video on him -

2 Likes