The legendary console Led Zeppelin used to record 'Stairway to Heaven' goes up for sale

1 Like

Stairway to Heaven on a console

(yes, I know it’s still not actually a console)

2 Likes

okayjlaw

Wake me up when this console goes on sale:

Who is that?

I used to work for a small company that bought and sold studio equipment. When a recording studio went out of business, he would buy out all the equipment, restore and repair, then resell it. At one point he had the recording console that Led Zeppelin II was recorded on, and I was surprised that he didn’t think the Led Zep provenance added any real value. He explained that a $300k+ console is the single largest investment a studio makes. If you could buy a console that Led Zep recorded on, or the same console in better condition for the same price, you buy the one in better condition every time. Yes, artists do choose studios based on the equipment they have, but it is just as attractive to say you have a vintage console of the same make and model that Led Zep recorded on. Same preamps! The sound doesn’t come from the provenance.

1 Like

I find our tendency to imbue inanimate objects with spiritual essence one of the more puzzling traits of humans.

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys purportedly during one of the recording sessions for Pet Sounds.

2 Likes

OK, thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Where’s the thumbs down button when you need it?

(I kid)

2 Likes

Didn’t they record Zep II on the road, all over the place?

museum

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.