The lies that convinced people to vote for Brexit

Somehow I suspect that the “y’all” voters won’t be found on Boing Boing.

Before Brexit, even the Tories were not the right-wing, fiscally-kleptomaniac and mendacious idiots that we have in power. By catering to the lunatics in the ERG, we have drifted ever rightwards and irrelevancy.

5 Likes

The Tories might not always have been right wing in US terms, but they have always defined right wing politics in Britain.

6 Likes

Sorry, sloppy, should have prefaced with ‘far’.

5 Likes

I never understand this type of protest vote, and that type binary absolute choice. It ignores reality.

If you add the nuance to that choice it was really between “Status Quo and people who are influenceable to changes to address my concerns” and “Change to something that will be worse for me and people who do not care about any of my concerns”.

Picking the second because the first isn’t acting fast enough is clearly spiting yourself.

8 Likes

Something I’ve noticed is that all too often the people with the strongest political opinions have a very poor understanding of how the politics actually work.

See also: all the people intent on voting third party in the US presidential election, and then getting mad when told that they’re tossing their vote away.

7 Likes

That is an excellent way to put it.

9 Likes

NSFW, so must be watched on yoot00b

7 Likes

Brilliant phrasing.
Causes as much trouble in the 'States as it does in the UK.

Not to mention about a hundred other countries…

:unamused:

9 Likes

It’s not just the UK. I expect that France (where I live) is going to swing right this year based pretty much solely on restricting Middle Eastern, eastern European, and northern African immigration.

6 Likes

Once you have got to the point of believing that the people in power are just giving lip service and will never address your concerns, it’s only a small step to a burn everything down protest vote.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.