The Lincoln Project's new ad: America or Trump?

Perhaps also some left-over resentment from the Panic of 1837, when the “too big to failslave mortgage market had to be bailed out and tanked the US economy for seven years.

2 Likes

Maybe, but the industrial economy of the North was booming in the years leading to the Civil War, mostly due to the raw materials supplied at below-market cost by the South. That’s the economic tie that binds slavery to northern states. They were benefiting from the institution while at arm’s reach.

2 Likes

They are quite good.

1 Like

Europe has the benefit of the Enlightenment.

We don’t even have a word for intelligentsia.

America is still grieving for the closing of the Western frontier (1890), blundering around with our guns and Manifest Destiny and exceptionalism (which is mere triumphalism rebranded) as if we might yet find land left for the seizing.

1890 is the distant past by American standards, but not so ancient to European thinkers, one assumes.

1 Like

Perhaps you would be kind enough to tell me a short name for the trecherous flag in popular use today? I might tread on someone’s toes if I made up a name on my own.

1 Like

I have seen some people call it the traitors flag.

5 Likes

What I took from that ad was Sam Elliot calling Trump a Loser.

I can imagine something like that might even prove fatal for the Orange Asshole.

5 Likes

That’s not booming for anyone in the North trying to compete with those goods, nor for their workers with pressure to reduce their wages. That was bound to be a cause of resentment.

Another cause of resentment might be on a different level of the fuckness of the slave economy, and capitalism in general. (I’m still trying to wrap my head around it.)

Just as the then-Constitution gave the South a supply of phantom voters for the Electoral College and representation in the House of Representatives, commodification of slavery gave the South a vast supply of phantom capital.

Take the evil idea that a human can be property, and raise it to a power: take out a mortgage on humans, bundle those mortgages (some toxic) into bond issues, and then trade those bonds, even in places where slavery itself was illegal.

Pre-Civil War, the South had a huge supply of cash from this, and bankers and traders in the North had the bonds, making them slavers-by-proxy, and opponents of abolition.

Imagine a hostile takeover, where the raiders were using slave bonds to fund the buyout. That should have been a source of resentment. I’d love to see something from an economic historian explaining the situation, and the distorting effect of slave capitalism.

I’m also curious at what happened when that enormous amount of phantom capital suddenly disappeared, either when the South repudiated Northern debts, or when Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation.

Excuse me while I bang my head on the desk some more…

3 Likes

That’s not how the US economy worked back then. The industrial North was not competing with the agrarian South; they were tied by supply chain. Raw materials from the South fed factories in the North to produce finished good for the world. The resentment was mostly from the South, as they saw the northern industrialists profit more from the finished goods than they did from the raw materials.

Absolutely.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Guys are on fire. I hope some ‘regular’ media is picking up on these, the number of views on youtube for the videos is generally under 1 million.

“Confederate Flag”, “rebel flag”, “Dixie flag”, “Confederate battle flag”, and “Southern cross” are all used.
Feel free to make your own epithet though.
I like “the blood-stained banner” (the confederate army called it “the stainless banner”)

They are running them on TV in select swing states.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.