The Lion King: Did Scar eat his brother?

There are two royal “brothers” one betrays the other.

Simba/Moses literally gets washed down a river.

A man in the sky appears and tells him what to do.

He returns to liberate his people from a cruel king.

The land is plagued.

It doesn’t neccisarily ceanly map to either. Simba spends most of the movie away. Nala does not commit suicide. It is not court intrigue that reveals the crime. Claudius does not hang out with Whoopi Goldberg. And Simba does not accidentally murder anyone.

A lot of core Hamlet shit isn’t there. Plenty of core Moses stuff isn’t either. But there are big reference points for both. Structurally to doesn’t match either very well.

Cause it’s not an adaptation.

I think you may be thinking of a different movie because that definitely didn’t happen in The Lion King, unless you’re equating a wildebeest stampede with a river.

Doesn’t he get run over a waterfall or something when he’s leaving and that’s how he ends up with Timon and Pumba?

It’s been a very long time since I’ve seen it.

Either way the people behind it specifically called out Moses as one of the big things they were working from. And that whole leaves, raised elsewhere, returns to save the day. Along with the borderline apocalyptic state of things when he gets back. Is apparently the major thing they took from that.

It’s a pretty significant portion of the plot, and the main arch of the film. And isn’t from Hamlet.

Nope. He escapes through a patch of thorny bushes and flees across the desert.

tenor

5 Likes

I am probably thinking of literally every other movie or television show from my childhood then.

They all have either a waterfall or quicksand.

1 Like

Ah, the intentional fallacy.

4 Likes

Yeah. The flimsiest theory being proffered here is the theory that authorial intent trumps any analysis, interpretation, and discussion of a work.

3 Likes

Yeah, It’s like saying, “She wanted her son to be a doctor and therefore he is a doctor.” Once a work is published, it takes on a life of its own.

2 Likes

It’s implied that (like Claudius in Hamlet and unlike actual lions that simply fight for pride leadership out of instinct) he knew what he was doing was wrong, so I have no problems with calling him evil. On the other hand, the idea that siding with the hyenas was wrong in itself (as the movie implies) seems a bit xenophobic.

1 Like

Yes, yes they did. You may have forgotten what the Internet was like 20 years go, but there were many people who jumped over vague similarities wildly twisted and went straight to Lion King = Hamlet without the slightest idea that if it was, the Circle of Life would have meant a bunch of incest and the royalty all in motionless heap.

Fortunately, some people who actually saw or read Hamlet took it with a grain of salt. But the bad takes. Whoo boy, the bad takes.

Is he followed by a gunslinger?

If so, it’s clearly inspired by The Dark Tower.

It wasn’t “vague similarities wildly twisted.” It was literally the same central premise with a number of the same story beats. Even the writers stated the similarities were intentional.

Saying “people who think The Lion King is a loose adaptation of Hamlet are dumb” is like saying “people who think Forbidden Planet is a loose adaptation of The Tempest are dumb” or “people who think West Side Story is a loose adaptation of Romeo and Juliet are dumb.”

5 Likes

I wanna know if Scar got it on with hyenas during his exile.

WHAT?

1 Like

You do understand that sarcasm is a thing. Which exists.

We’ll all understand it better if you frame it in contemporary terms:

This was a false-flag psy-op targeted on the savannah patriot Scar.

2 Likes

Scar did not incite the wildebeests to stampede. And, furthermore, the wildebeests were not a threat; they were hugging and kissing Mustafa. There was so much love there.

Arguably the real tragedy that’s going on.

That sounds like an interesting film.

4 Likes

Arial: It is the bright day that brings forth the whadya-callit… snake;
And that craves wary walking on those, what’s the word? feet! Crown him?–that;–
And then, I grant, we put a dingle-hopper in him

3 Likes