The magic of Ultra Q

Originally published at: The magic of Ultra Q | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Oh man from that headline I was prepared to hear some new crazy conspiracy theory that integrated the CIA’s MKUltra program and QAnon.

15 Likes

Man, that puts me in mind of my old Fantazma Gordo kite from Gayla…

11 Likes

You raise Ultra Q. I show you my National Kid!

6 Likes

If you like old school Ultraman/sentai/kaiju series and anime there is a series that intersects all of these. There’s SSSS.Gridman and SSSS.Dynazenon, and has a lot of nods and references to old shows. The director for the anime originally wanted to make an Ultraman series but since there were plans to already make one they gave him the option to choose another old property to bring back, it’s light on the action and is more focused on character motivation, psychology, what it means to be an otaku/fan and its pretty heavy on symbolism. It’s also slow paced but well worth watching, you could start with Gridman since Dynazenon has callbacks to it but you can watch it the other way around. My opinion is that Dynazenon is a more solid show that focuses more on the relationships of the characters

6 Likes

Needs Mothra, a lot of Mothra.

11 Likes

Dynazenon was my favourite anime last year.

IMO, you should definitely watch Gridman first, because (a) Dynazenon is better, and it would be a shame to be disappointed with Gridman, which is still very good, and (b) there are things in Dynazenon you simply will not get if you haven’t seen Gridman, especially when Knight and Second show up.

4 Likes

Dynazenon is definitely amazing. I liked how Gridman had themes of isolation and the hurtful/dark side of being too much of a fan of something and overcoming it. Dynazenon i loved how it dealt with trauma and regret, for a kaiju centered show its surprisingly human and grounded.

2 Likes

That’s what THEY want you to thi… wait, what?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.