The meaning of pink floyd

This was kind of the reason this whole topic was created in the first place; [this post] (What the BBS means to me - #58 by Israel_B) was threatening to derail the “What the bbs means to me” topic, and so someone (@FerrisWheeler?) requested that the “meaning of Pink Floyd’s lyrics” discussion be split off into its own topic.

4 Likes

This year alone, we’ve seen the Obama administration wrongfully accused of antisemitism. We’ve seen the United Nations wrongfully accused of it. And now Pink Floyd, too? It’s farcical, especially given the credible reports and eyewitness videos of illegal acts and humanitarian problems that seem only to intensify in the region, lately. I don’t understand how such accusers believe they’re helping any cause by offending the world with such distorted messaging. What I fear even more is what actions and policies may now follow this blistering storm of demagoguery.

Pink Floyd is a rare voice of moral reason and aesthetic beauty in this world. I’ve overplayed their 1970s discography to such an extent that I rarely pull their albums out anymore-- I almost don’t need to; the songs are now indelibly etched into my mind. Their music occupies a special place my heart; an attack on them might as well be an expression of religious hatred made against many people who were or are spiritually and aesthetically moved by the band’s music.

2 Likes

You are are comparing centuries of anti-semitism to complaints against Roger Water’s use of imagery?

#I had no idea you were so oppressed!

3 Likes

According to the man himself they added the crucifix and star-crescent after the disparity was pointed out to him.

This has been a judgement neutral post; only sharing what I found.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Are you being hyperbolically satirical in such a obliquely veiled fashion that everybody is missing it and mistaking your posts for pure anti-semitic delusions?

Because that is how you are coming across.

1 Like

No, I’m saying claims of anti-semitism as famously expressed today generally are bullshit perpetuated by the manifestly morally fallen, and this thread is no exception.

Oh, now me too? It seems everyone you disagree with “must be” anti-semitic. Well, thanks for making my point for me with your worthless libel.

I win. You just lost. Well, truly, you lost before you started when you took this dark path. Take your hatreds and your prejudices and bury them in salt.

ETA @chromakey and @OtherMichael… how about you both take a step back and maybe come back to this when you’ve both had time to cool off. I think you both have a point to make, but it’s just devolved into name calling at this point.

10 Likes

So, that’s a “no”, then? You’re being sincere in you assertions that

1. critiquing Roger Waters/Pink Floyd is On the Wrong Side of History (“Get on the right side of history and leave the band, its members, its music, and its message alone.”)
  2. critiquing Roger Waters/Pink Floyd is an attack on decency (“Such attacks on any of this are attacks on decency itself.”)
  3. anti-semitism no longer exists (" I’m saying claims of anti-semitism as famously expressed today
    generally are bullshit perpetuated by the manifestly morally fallen")
  4. attacks on Roger Waters/Pink Floyd is like anti-semitism (“might as well be an expression of religious hatred made against many people”)

Might I suggest, however, that claiming that a critique of Roger Waters/Pink Floyd might as well be an expression of religious hatred is generally bullshit perpetuated by the manifestly morally fallen?

ETA: I posted while Mindy added her ETA asking us to take a time-out; no dis-respect intended.

2 Likes

Such a good point I thought I’d echo it.

5 Likes