The Minnesotan left-wing economic miracle continues, while neighboring Republican states slowly collapse

You joke, but since they caught that one guy who was threatening the JCCs, and he was a leftist, I’ve seen liberals making that exact excuse when they’re not No True Scotsman’ing.

3 Likes

Double liked for linking to “the Great War”. An excellent series, but one heck of an archive binge if you’re trying to catch up now.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Big happenings this week…

3 Likes

I know. If you were more of a regular, you would have recognized snark. I am quite a fan of his.

3 Likes

Whaaaaat the fuuuuuuuuuck? Oh, Canada, I expect this sort of willful ignorance in the US. From you, I expect better.

15 Likes

TBF this was… 1998? LOL - and Calgary has changed a lot since then. But yeah, I had a lot of fun conversations back then.

6 Likes

Sharing the wealth is more like treating everyone fairly & equally. It is not so much about punishment for those that have had different opportunities with success.

2 Likes

I know it’s maybe not the most helpful thing to do but I also get a real kick out of using “racist” as an epithet for let’s say racially insensitive people when they’re not being racist at all. It’s fun to hear people indignantly explain why not liking dark chocolate isn’t racist. Or like in a game of poker, “quit stalling and bet, you racist”. Ideally there’s this look of slightly panicked confusion as they replay the last few seconds and try to work out what they did. It doesn’t matter how absurd the accusation, the word itself is just unsettling to some people.

5 Likes

Yeah, but China and Japan were not the same country in 1998, or really at any point in history. This was just willful ignorance.

Something also tells me that this person did not think France and Germany were the same country… but wouldn’t be terribly surprised if they did think that.

2 Likes

But they are so easy to differentiate!

Germania has crazy eyes while Marianne has never time to dress.

14 Likes

I also had to explain to this same person that no, you may not drive in the “passing lane”, that no, it was not the “fast lane” and you shouldn’t drive in it, especially if you’re going to squat in it doing the speed limit. Her argument was “I’m doing the speed limit, they shouldn’t be passing me!”

I like to think I had a positive affect on her world view… but who knows!

The China/Japan thing tho, that was pretty common. See also Muslim/Hindu, Indian/Pakistani, and just to confuse them even more there was a large Sikh community. And Africa was a country I’m sure.

TBF to them, I’m pretty sure if you worked the assembly line of any manufacturer you’d find pretty similar ideas today.

9 Likes

If she pulls this BS in Michigan, she’s gonna get passed on her right, and get stinkeyed. There’s a special place in hell for left lane campers.

13 Likes

You’re safe, I don’t think she ever left the province. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was just in Michigan a couple weeks ago, and this is very true. Drive fast and stay the fuck out of the left lane, or get flattened.

10 Likes

Muslim/Hindu/Sikh confusion is way more common than it should be, seeing as they are totally different religions, and Islam is an Abrahamic faith like Christianity. Also try explaining that Islam and Muslim are not two separate things.

India, Pakistan, Bangladesh though, I give more leeway to. Bangladesh is a newish country (formerly East Pakistan) and there’s disputed territory between India and Pakistan. India is still about 20% Muslim as well.

6 Likes

{sigh} You do.

4 Likes

https://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/optimized/3X/a/4/a46d667aedc1bbb70e20f79780f2593fddd66435_1_377x500.jpg

I had no idea boob-plate armor predated video games.

9 Likes

Marianne likes to head straight to the beach when the battle is over.

7 Likes

I got 44% from walmart.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can’t see Nenshi getting elected in '88. But it wasn’t just Calgary. I ran into that in Lower Mainland BC, even later than that.

And you don’t want to know the bitching that went on when this was declared a national historic site:

4 Likes