The "mom and pop" business owner who loves Trump's tax plan is a lobbyist for Oracle who will save billions

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/11/how-do-you-do-fellow-kids.html

3 Likes

Insert insane laughter here…

4 Likes

Your wish is my command!

2 Likes

What else does anyone expect from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce? They 'd have a lot of difficulties maintaining their status without regularly indulging in false representation. In their defense, though, that aspect does unintentionally represent the nature of business in late-stage capitalist America.

8 Likes

Put a comma after “Oracle.” Let’s eat grandma.

1 Like

“What the site doesn’t mention is that Lepore’s business is consulting as a lobbyist to the largest corporations in America, including Oracle, who have parked $68,000,000,000 in untaxed offshore accounts and who will save billions by being able to repatriate that money under an amnesty program in the Trump tax plan.”

[For people] who have parked $68,000,000,000 in untaxed offshore accounts and who will save billions by being able to repatriate that money under an amnesty program in the Trump tax plan.

Untaxed offshore accounts. A tiny hint as to why Trump is pushing this.

9 Likes

Isn’t a small business defined by the number of employees, not how much money they make? I think Mark Thomas pointed this out when he investigated Coca-Cola. They outsourced so much that the company only had about 50 employees.

That’s always worth remembering whenever politicians talk about small businesses and their owners.

16 Likes

Something must be wrong with me. I don’t feel good when I lie about important things in public. I never was one of the cool kids

7 Likes

That’s a good point. I would also point out that the majority of “small businesses” are the outsourced companies you mentioned! Relatively few small businesses are consumer-facing, and instead serve either a single larger business or thin market segment of larger businesses.

This means that they’re little more than “one removed” departments of these big businesses, and we really need to break this “Mom & Pop Store” association we have with them, because that’s only a small segment of the larger “low employee number” business demographic.

8 Likes

“I’m a small business owner…who 50 years ago would have just been the head of a single department in a large company that used to pay retirees a pension before we externalized retirement funding to the stock market so the wealthy can make even more money!”

10 Likes

Aww yeah, now you got the rhythm, let’s dance!

2 Likes

Zvet0

4 Likes

Do we even know the details of this tax plan?

Pesky morals. Only thing between me and a whole lotta wealth.

3 Likes

You had me at US Chamber of Commerce

4 Likes

So, is ‘astroturfer’ like running a landscaping serving?

Well, not…exactly.

Next you’ll tell me that the means by which ‘family farm’ numbers are constructed are less than entirely intellectually honest…

2 Likes

“Mom”

7 Likes

In case it’s not clear to folks (especially those of you that aren’t American), despite the official sounding name, the US Chamber of Commerce is not a government entity. It’s a conservative leaning pro-business lobbying organization.

7 Likes

and look where it got you in life. You probably don’t even drive a Mercedes. SAD.

3 Likes