The most cutting-edge computer animated TV commercial of 1984 starred a sexy robot, of course

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/06/the-most-cutting-edge-computer.html

3 Likes

Cutting edge computer animation to advertise… the general concept of canned food? I sometimes I forget how much stuff has changed since I was a kid.

15 Likes

3yrs to Jupiter. Should have been working on their Epstein Drive instead of canned corn.

#TheExpanse

12 Likes

I know, but seriously, it was weird even then. Canned food was developed during the Napoleonic Wars for the French to feed their army in the field, not some recent invention.

13 Likes

uncanny.

with the pun totally intended

9 Likes

Frozen foods were taking market share away from canned food.

6 Likes

Groundbreaking and I never saw it.

3 Likes

Nice can, babe.

5 Likes

I want my MTV.

Would anyone with a NASA-background care to comment on the viability of sending cans into space?

Unless the metal is getting recycled or re-purposed, seems a heavy packaging to uses. Could a Mylar bag do the job? And what about the wasted volume when shipping a round can?

6 Likes

Sooo… this was a commercial about… cans?

5 Likes

A sexy robot in the '80s that wasn’t done by Sorayama… that in itself is weird.

5 Likes

I couldn’t hear half the dialogue over the “sciency” sound effects.

4 Likes

Ah, 1980s media, where the robots looked like sexy women and the women looked like sexy robots:

10 Likes

whatever happened to frozen orange

1 Like

It was my ambition to be both.
What, TMI?

6 Likes

…And the food bubble over the robot’s genital region goes from phallic image to round buttocks image twice… From corn to peach to extremely phallic asparagus to tomato…
#AllAnal80’s
#FoodFuckery #IMeanYou’reGoingToBeInSpaceForThreeYearsMightAssWellScrewTheCreamedCorn

6 Likes

4 Likes

Frozen food and microwaveable convenience meals were widely seen as the future. Canned food was fiddly and old-fashioned - clearly it needed shiny robot help.

3 Likes

Be afraid - be very afraid…

5 Likes