The most obscure Simpsons controversy is the one about the Homer-shaped DVD box set

Originally published at: The most obscure Simpsons controversy is the one about the Homer-shaped DVD box set | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’ve seen things like this pop up every now and then online, books in a series, graphic novel volumes, dvd cases, etc where one would have the text rotated in the wrong direction, or have it have a different color, etc. I’m not super OCD but this would absolutely drive me insane.

6 Likes

Who buys DVDs anymore?

2 Likes

I’ve actually only recently started buying the odd bluray and asking for them as affordable gifts to myself when someone in the fam doesn’t know what to get me. My reason is that every single time i really want to watch a specific movie it’s either not streaming anywhere or it happens to be on the couple of streaming services i don’t pay for, and it happens so regularly that it just pisses me off. Especially when i’m excitedly talking about the movie and i really want to show it to someone… and i can’t. I don’t have a huge collection (maybe less than 30-40 discs) but gotta start somewhere.

13 Likes

People who are paranoid about losing the rights to stream “Stark Raving Dad”?

4 Likes

I actually recently started buying VHS tapes. Mostly of 80’s sci-fi and horror movies…

8 Likes

Back in the dark days of Covid, I would have thougt that there would be a blip iin disc sales.

Remember when all the ISPs decided to downgrade their networks, and all the streaming services followed suit? There are certain limits to how far one could go, before all that extraordinary cinematography loses a major part of what makes it so compelling…

But ordering discs – the station wagon full of tapes alternative to streaming-- was frowned upon, as it does exploit warehouse workers for non-critical purposes.

2 Likes

People who don’t want their access to their favorite things to be at the whim of streaming providers.

Simpsons might be an easy one to find right now, but as a fan of obscure and weird films I am quite happy to have my collection on DVD still.

Just recently watched the original Dawn of the Dead which can’t even be streamed for money anywhere on the net much less on a subscription service. And that one isn’t even very obscure.

Give it twenty years and who knows how difficult some of these things will be to find.

18 Likes

OH yeah - I hate it when books and DVDs have the wrong text orientation. One could think there was a specific way of orientating the text that would be consistent, especially if you are making a series of media.

4 Likes

I remember the complaining when this came out. Sure it didn’t look good on my shelf but they released the several other seasons worth with “collector’s edition” head shapes along with regular rectangular ones. I have all the head shaped ones and they look pretty cool on my shelf.

3 Likes

I do, because if you peruse thrift stores regularly you find gold for cheap-- I got two Wong Kar-Wei dvds for a dollar the other day. It’s worth it to have certain things I will watch over and over, Criterion collection stuff, Hitchcock and film noir box sets, etc.

In fact I have all these Simpsons dvds in the goofy plastic cases-- someone put them out on the street for free.

13 Likes

schitts creek yes GIF by CBC

I don’t want tons of streaming services and there is a lot of stuff you can’t get from them anyhow.

14 Likes

Some of us purchased this monstrosity on release, in the days before streaming was a passable solution.

8 Likes

There have been other character head shaped Simpson boxes, why is this just now becoming a problem for some? I gt mine years ago.

OK, I have Maggie, Marge and Homer. Bought around 2006/7 according to the orders.

1 Like

So, buy the weird shaped box and rip the contents to disk or solid state and call it a day. Packaging problem gone or recycled.

1 Like

Speaking of which, Barnes and Noble is having their 50% off criterion sales right now. Possibly stuff that isn’t streamable.
picked up time bandits and age of innocence.

5 Likes

I bought the Day of the Dead DVD for my wife for Christmas. It still sits packaged by her chair as she goes through streaming Midsommer Murders.

4 Likes

That one is actually available easily on sub and ppv services.

2 Likes

I assume they fixed the audio problems with that by now. (On first release to DVD, Day of the Dead had some incorrect audio, I think from a censored version, or some such.)

1 Like

TIL that odd-shaped DVD boxes are something that people have feelings about. Also that people still have DVDs.

2 Likes