The neoliberal politicians who impeached Brazil's president and took over are imploding in spectacular corruption scandals

The swimming pool was figurative. He may still meet with an unhappy ‘accident’ sooner or later.

2 Likes

“Hey guys, the government is corrupt and Brazil deserves better. We’ll show you world class corruption.”

4 Likes

I know. But the strange aspect of this situation is that they are arresting rich people! Arresting rich people here, in Brazil. They even arrested two ex governors of Rio de Janeiro! And the list of people affraid of prison is very big…

I think they will need a lot of swimming pools…

4 Likes

I am shocked that Tony Bennett would be involved in such a thing!

5 Likes

People like to say that all politicians are corrupt, even when it’s only 60% our so, but in Brasil it might actually be true.

1 Like

I get a feeling that every time some nation does something incredibly stupid, 2016 USA says “Here, hold my drink”:

17 Likes

This article is making me sick! It’s completely fake. We, the Brazilian people impeached the psychopath Dilma Rousseff and her gang. They broke Brazil, millions of people are unemployed, the corruption went up risen, they placed and infiltrate everywhere… You know nothing about Brazil and your news are all fake like our midia which are fake too. Brazilians hate Dilma and her gang called PT meaning “workers party”… Should be narcocriminal and mafia party. Michel Temer is nothing, but took the place because of our constitution. We were feeling better with at least someone not sick. We gave him a chance. Our fight now is against the congress who wants to get away with their crimes and finish LavaJato. Michel? We do not want to waste our time on him now. Geddel, the minister, was with Dilma before. Nobody is honest, they are all corrupted but noboxy is more corrupted than communists, liberals like u call them. We call them PT! THIS MIDIA HETE IS ALSO FAKE AND COMMUNIST PROPAGANDA

He was arrested but made a deal. Give them names and drop some time from sentence kind of stuff.

5 Likes

Behold the Brazilian equivalent of a Trumper.

21 Likes

Please, no! The good people of the favela don´t deserve it. And it could be dangerous. A lot of corrupt politicians from all over the world gathered together in a place forgoten by God and the State. Man they could create a new criminal gang to terrorize us.

2 Likes

Yes. And a lof of people are very, very affraid of his words.

Who could have predicted such a devious plot?

:wink:

1 Like

Or that awful movie… 2012…

Even some members of the party of the former president are supporting this law… Brazil isn´t a land for amateurs…

a group of business-friendly right-wing politicians…

…somehow became “neoliberals?” Does that word actually mean anything any more? Or is it like the evil brother of “artisanal,” “curated,” and “hack?”

Neoliberal originally referred to a revival of late 19th-C laissez-faire capitalism. Gladstonian liberalism.

It only got mixed up with the American use of “liberal” to mean “socially pluralistic” because the USA’s supposedly-liberal party enthusiastically jumped on board the deregulation train.

6 Likes

Angusm that is very very unlikely. He is in the top 10 richest people in Brazil (ninth or tenth place). His arrest was really really unexpected. He has been behind bars for the last year and a half. He is expected to remain there for at least three years if he complies with his plea bargain. He will probably NOT befall any strange accident.

Glenn Greenwald has a gross bias when it comes to reporting about Brazil. There was no such thing as a coup this year. The impeachment procedure is in the Brazilian constitution and was followed to the letter*. Please stop reporting that there was a coup in Brazil. At least use “alleged coup”. The current government (that you call neoliberal politicians) was elected together with the previous government (Temer was Dilma’s vice president!!!).
I am part of the Brazilian population who supports decisive measures against corruption. We supported the impeachment against Dilma and we also support strict punishment for the current government corrupt practices as well! Six ministers have already fallen and if Temer falls as well, so be it.

’ * Well almost: in the last day of the impeachment, the chief justice, while presiding the senate, didn’t follow the constitution and did not levy the correct penalty for the impeached president.

Look, while I agree that Greenwald is biased the historical consensus will call the impeachment a state coup. Right wingers don’t get to define what it will be called any more than that ridiculous try by the military dictatorship to rewrite history and call the 64 coup a democratic revolution.

Dilma wasn’t ejected by corruption but by a combination of economical failure and political opposition greed. And only TWO DAYS after she was impeached they made the “crime” for which she was impeached totally legal so Temer couldn’t be accused of the same crime.

Yes, I think that Dilma has a lot of explaining to do about how could she possibly be unaware of all the corruption deals happening under her nose - and after all those years fighting against evil corrupt politicians just to end being just like them is something that Lula adorers will have to cope with.

But PSDB and PMDB (former dictatorship era MDB) are a very old and very powerfully encroached force in the most lucrative aspects of our society (the money in civil construction alone is astronomical) with families that are succeeding each other in power since the start of the Republic.

You say you want the end of corruption but most people that think like you believe that the Worker’s Party is the end all and be all of all evils. They are the “enemy”, the anti-Christ, the destroyers of society as we know it. Corruption is ambidextrous.

I say we as a society should have a long and proper political reformation to guarantee that we elect better politicians, with better controls against corruption. With the current state of affairs it will be almost impossible (over half the people who voted for the impeachment were involved in corruption themselves). This last wave of big fish getting arrested gives me almost hope for the future, but I’m cautiously waiting to see if they keep in jail.

8 Likes

A good old-fashioned swamp draining!

1 Like