The new Mission: Impossible trailer is here

Originally published at: The new Mission: Impossible trailer is here | Boing Boing

1 Like

Cruise is looking like he could play Jason Bateman’s brother

3 Likes

Is this the one where he freaked out on set over COVID protocol?

2 Likes

Ooh, a two part Franchise Finale. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

How do they live with themselves?

4 Likes

I would never have expected lots of scenes of running with fast hands and riding motorbikes with jackets flapping in a Tom Cruise movie…

9 Likes

I hope so. Tom is getting past the age for action flicks, and I wish he’d come to his senses.

6 Likes

[snicker]
DismalLeftConure-size_restricted

5 Likes

Tom Cruise won’t stop making these silly movies until he’s had more screen time in the franchise than Peter Graves.

8 Likes

An omen, for sure…

2 Likes

The series drives me nuts. Most of the problems they’re fighting were caused directly by the Impossible Mission Force themselves, and even then could still be quickly resolved by greater transparency.

M.I. 1: a disgruntled rogue IMF agent kills a bunch of other agents for the ridiculously small sum of $10 million. Along the way Hunt puts a bunch of additional agents in danger by stealing a list of agent names and temporarily handing it over to bad guys.

M.I. 2: the IMF sends an agent to pick up a bio weapon. This agent also turns out to be a bad guy. When the bad guy has only the cure and not the virus Hunt squanders an opportunity to destroy the last sample of the virus and thereby puts the world at great risk.

M.I. 3: bad guy gets Hunt to steal “the Rabbit’s foot” for him. Rogue IMF manager is part of the plot.

M.I. 4: Hunt steals Russian nuke launch codes and directly hands them over to bad guy under the theory that he’d eventually find a way to get them anyway. (Didn’t even add any typos for safety. WTF??) Then he still could have ruined the bad guy’s plans to start a nuclear war by telling either Russian or American officials that the bad guy has these codes. (All the Russians needed to do is change their passwords, all the Americans needed to do was jam an Indian satellite or at least not retaliate to a false flag attack)

I got fed up at that point and didn’t watch the last 3 movies but I assume that the IMF nearly destroys the world in those as well.

8 Likes
14 Likes

Liam Neeson glares menacingly into the chat.

8 Likes

Liam Neeson > tom cruise

2 Likes

I have a very special set of skulls.

4 Likes
1 Like

Your tax dollars at work!

5 Likes

Gotta say,

I ripped a huge fart when he jumped the motorcycle (before the inevitable parachute), laughed while looking at my phone, and resigned myself to being more entertained by this than actually spending money to watch this movie.

Thank you to all involved!

1 Like

I mean, the only difference between these movies and so-called “superhero” movies is that the franchise is smaller and they’re making up the stories each time, rather than pulling from decades of prior stories that help to flesh out “is this going to be good or not”.

Sure, he’s not wearing a flashy costume, but Ethan Hunt is as much, if not more, of a superhuman as Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, or the Incredible Hulk.

1 Like

None of these movies were more entertaining (or coherent) than a single episode of Bruce Geller’s original TV series. The entire basis for this franchise seems to be residual affection for, and vestigial name recognition of, the original TV series-- and not the movies themselves.

1 Like