The new Neuromancer cover is amazing

Good book, bloody terrible cover.
I used to really like Gibson but it really felt like he was writing the same book over and over. I do still like the first three, I’m not hating on him.

I recently bought this paperback online, worth it for the delivery note - Item: Corpse, Quantity: 1
If you want a little mid-80s classic cyberpunk I definitely recommend it.
150061-cover

2 Likes

Why is it amazing? You’ve made the claim, now please explain.

1 Like

These are by far my favorites as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been waiting on Gibson’s latest book, but the publication date has been bumped back twice, I believe. It was supposed to come out in November originally, but now it’s been bumped to September 2019. I’m sure it will be worth the wait, but the delays are really disappointing.

1 Like

At first I was “huh.”, then more of “No, I don’t like it”, and I tried to figure out why I didn’t like it.

Then I realized it was because it looks like something from a 'zine you’d get at a comic book shop in Minneapolis in… 1984. The text looks like someone was just learning how to use their college newspaper’s brand new varityper.

Then I got it. Now I like it.

A list of the 75 best ocers of 2018. They seem to have missed this one. https://lithub.com/the-75-best-book-covers-of-2018/

Suddenly I remembered these. I like them better than this one, I think.

1 Like

I was lucky enough to read it when it first came out…before the world wide web, before VR, when reading it felt like prophecy (self-fulfilling prophecy to some extent, since many of those who created VR/ the WWW were inspired by it). I haven’t read anything since then that felt prophetic in the same way, although I wish the Culture was around the corner…

1 Like

dd717bcd37b3ba51a9e769017f9e821d_465_420_int

1 Like

Just hire Larry Elmore next time.

4 Likes

…You had me going for a moment, there.

Am more of a fan of design work with a bit more color and complexity, but I couldn’t help appreciating a tangential resonance with the amazing movie poster for Herzog’s Lo and Behold.

3 Likes

Michael Armstrong’s “After the Zap” holds the bar in my mind for zany 80’s dystopian Sci-Fi cover art :

We might have to bump the squiggly dog!

Agreed, but I’d still rather it be the version of Agency he feels good about releasing.

I seem to remember in an interview that there was an angle in an Agency draft that presumed Hillary Clinton winning the US election, and he had to make some tweaks to work it in? He may be running into the weirdness of real life messing with his plot lines – Charles Stross writes about this happening to him a lot, with his cyberpunky writing.

1 Like

Herzog going on and on about the absurdities of our connected times is not to be missed!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.