The new president of the NRA is Oliver North

Nah. He’ll trade them all for the Iranian nukes Trumpty-Dumpty is so focused on.

3 Likes

“Hey, Buford, hold muh beer an’ watch this!!”

2 Likes

A worthy successor to Harlon Carter, who stood proudly in favour of murdering brown people, and Robert Dowlut, who not-so-proudly stood in favour of shooting your girlfriend’s mother and generally acting like a teenage hoodlum.

https://timeline.com/harlon-carter-nra-murder-2f8227f2434f

ETA: if I have missed any other murderers turned NRA leaders, please enlighten me.

20 Likes

Well, ornamental stuff. I believe he’ll be expected to make speeches that serve the economic interests of firearms vendors, while claiming to represent patriots and sportsmen. His major qualifications for the job are good posture and a sort of puppy eyed earnestness.

9 Likes

Ollie North, the true shitty end of the stick, literarily.

4 Likes

Now that he’s back to gun-running, will he be selling drugs again too?

14 Likes

I think that’s the only reason the right wing does anything anymore.

8 Likes

That and the wingnut nostalgia he evokes for the Reagan era.

10 Likes

Jingoistic window dressing. If detractors attack the NRA they just have to wheel him out and Voila! - they are attacking America. It’s not going to change anybody’s minds about anything - but it will serve to ramp up the militia minded minions who are only too eager to take to the streets, armed to the teeth, to protect America. Excuse me while I go make some popcorn.

4 Likes

Ya know, when I was growing up, we didn’t have “freedoms”. We had “freedom”. Or at least that was what we were told, even if that was mostly B.S.

But in the demagoguery after 9/11 is when I started hearing about how “they hate us for our freedoms” and suddenly freedom was no longer a state that you either had or didn’t, but a thing that you could have a collection of. This has long bothered me, because if “freedoms” are individual things it seems to me they are more in danger of being taken away piece by piece. Haven’t quite put together exactly what that all might mean, but I think there is something to unpack there.

16 Likes

“A traitor to the Constitution” said Sen. Tom Harkin.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/03/us/after-sharp-debate-senate-votes-to-let-north-collect-his-pension.html

7 Likes

The Mute Marine. If only he hadn’t changed that public stance.

6 Likes

Came here for this, leaving especially satisfied it was the first response. :smiley:

4 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

9 Likes

It may end up being Really Bad, but you’re right, could be good in some ways. The fun thing about life is… We’ll see! Hah! No joke, I’m pretty cynical.

2 Likes

I think your semiotic deconstruction is very solid.

4 Likes

To be fair, those values are in sync with federal policy…

4 Likes

When I think of international gun-running racketeers earnest isn’t an adjective that comes to mind.

4 Likes

Culture war figurehead.

10 Likes

Maybe Fawn Hall can help Melania with her “Be Best” initiative.

4 Likes