The new waterproof Kindle Paperwhite got my kid to take a bath

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/06/the-new-waterproof-kindle-pape.html

How well does the touchscreen interface work when wet? I know my phone screen gets all hinky as soon ad a couple drops of rain hit it.

I’ll ask if she noticed any thing. She didn’t complain and is of the generation that is touch-screen oriented. At like 18mo old she was trying to coverflow commercials off the tv.

1 Like

I’m glad that their screensaver is still a trophy gallery of every medium they’re out to destroy.

3 Likes

Hmm. I’ve been eyeing one of these for a while. I have an original Paperwhite from 2012. Everything I read sounds like the 4th gen is a real improvement. I wonder if my cover would fit the new model?

Surprisingly print book sales are at an all-time high even as ebooks make up an ever-growing portion of overall book sales.

It may seem counterintuitive and the age of social media and streaming video services, but the truth is that we are a more literate society then we have ever been.

4 Likes

You could cheap out and get ads instead.

(I have the older paperwhite-- that’s not waterproof. It was 80 bucks-- without ads– on “buy nothing” day.)

Well poop. I hesitate to use mine in the bath as I’m worried the steam will hurt it. Now it’s waterproof and I only bought this one last year!

1 Like

The latest kindle devices (“10th generation/2018”) use a different cover/case than the last couple of releases

1 Like

Nope, seems the new one gets a new shape/size case.

Case choice was a big deal for her.

I’m going through the return/exchange/upgrade process to get the new kindle paperwhite. I’m kind of sad to see that it’s been upgraded to the “flush glass” screen. Am I silly to worry that this will make the device more fragile? I’m not the most graceful person in the world. I’d keep my old one as it works ok but I really want one with it’s own illumination.

Ziplock bag.

Beat me to it

1 Like

How did parents get their kids to take baths before this?

Hint: bribing kids to get them to behave guarantees later defiance.

Bath toys.

Welcome to Boing Boing Comrade!

1 Like

That sounds almost as good as not having kids in the first place!

1 Like

I don’t know. I never bought the whole “ereaders will destroy physical books” scaremongering. One simple reason: electricity. People seem to always imagine the worst of a new technology and humanity usually then proves them wrong.

“If men learn this, it will implant forgetfulness in their souls. They will cease to exercise memory because they rely on that which is written, calling things to remembrance no longer from within themselves, but by means of external marks.”

-Plato, writing about… writing.

3 Likes

Wondering if amazon will replace a water damaged paperwhite?
I know “waterproof” phones, for a while at least, had liquid sensitive indicators which would void the warranty if they showed any water damage.

1 Like

I REALLY like reading in the bath for extended periods. But it ruins print books from the moisture, so I don’t take them in any more. But I wouldn’t take an expensive iOS device (which I own), and don’t want to do the Zip-Loc approach.

I think I’m buying one of these more-or-less specifically for bath-time reading. Would REALLY like to find out how well the touch screen works with wet/■■■■■ wrinkly fingers… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oooh I forgot you can trade in. I wonder if they’d let me do that in an Amazon store? The mall has one.