The New York Times building has a bedbug infestation on every floor

2 Likes

Politics and strange bed-fellows?

1 Like

Blame it on well-known bedbug Bret Stephens.

17 Likes

6 Likes
10 Likes

try telling that to 5 star hotels who cannot clarify how old their mattresses are :wink:

“When a bug bites a man, that is not news…”

3 Likes

Given the nature of their business, I would expect and hope (or “expope”) that they have a robust business continuity plan in the event they can’t use their regular offices. They can all just work out of Ebola tents at their huge site in Queens or whatever. But for someone who runs a lil’ struggling restaurant, a bedbug infestation really wouldn’t be funny. Or a mattress store, omg can you imagine.

I guess you could make a metaphor about the NYT’s insulated, patrician sneering masquerading as plain-dealing ordinary-folksness? But it’d be pretty forced.

1 Like

Thanks for the giggle. Though bedbugs don’t spread disease, but climate change deniers might get us all killed.

3 Likes

Wow Brett Stephens really did have a blowup.

3 Likes
8 Likes

I had bedbugs years ago and successfully got rid of them. You just gotta get the right chemical. Stuff that normally just kills roaches doesn’t work, and that’s the common mistake that lets them get under the radar. The odd thing about this is that I was under the understanding that they tend to need to live where they can suck people’s blood for hours every day. I guess people sitting in cubicles works, but it helps if the people are asleep and not swatting them away. Hotels, bedrooms and movie theaters seem like better places for them. But who am I to tell them where to live.

3 Likes
10 Likes

It’s always projection with conservatives. Every accusation is a barely-secret confession…

4 Likes

Oh, wait, even better – Stephens has now quit Twitter because if there’s anything a Strong Conservative Intellectual Who Sneers at Safe Spaces and PC Millennials can’t handle, it’s a lifetime of jokes about his bedbug nature.

9 Likes

images

8 Likes

“Twitter is a sewer. It brings out the worst in humanity,” Stephens posted. “I sincerely apologize for any part I’ve played in making it worse, and to anyone I’ve ever hurt.

Stephens has a lot more to apologise for about his Twitter behaviour over the years than does someone who posted an obvious throwaway joke that could have been aimed at any member of the paper’s op-ed staff. Unfortunately he’ll still be pushing the PNAC fantasy and global warming denialism and railing about those thin-skinned Millenials’ PC culture on the pages on the NYT.

3 Likes

My guess is that there’s reporters working late, sleep-deprived, who nap at work at all hours, so there’s constant humans on tap. Reporters also travel frequently, so even if they get rid of an infestation, someone may re-infect the environment.

2 Likes

Apparently Free Speech Champions will write to my boss to try and get me fired for making that joke. Good thing my postings here are anonymous…

Hah! Didn’t check upthread.

1 Like

Via Terminix:

When bed bugs are in their dormant state, they do not need to feed. According to the University of Kentucky , bed bugs can survive 2 to 6 months without a meal. In extreme cases, when the temperature drops to 55°F or lower, they may survive a year or longer. After this time the New York Times will feel like it is safe to start publishing their anti-millennial and fascism-curious screeds again.

2 Likes