The nightmare of parenting through two years of a pandemic

More like:

The nightmare of parenting through the first two years of a pandemic

11 Likes

This happens to Twitter quotes all the time on BB. I don’t think it’s user error.

6 Likes

Interesting. My state doesn’t have one, but the university does. We’ve said “The CDC says, indoors must wear a mask.” So far, no pushback at all.

And, so far, I get 2-3 e-mails an hour (and that’s not hyperbole) about a student or a colleague who has either tested positive or is off to get a test because of exposure. I expect we’ll have to convert to online sooner rather than later.

11 Likes

You clearly have not dealt with the psychological trauma that this group of school kids has gone through. Even before confronting the loss of over half a million people in the US, including large numbers of parents and grandparents, they have to confront the loss of routines, predictability, educational opportunities and the confidence that there is some stability to be had out there. The level of anxiety and depression we are dealing with in out middle school and high school population is ridiculous. We have lost more patients to suicide in the last 12 months than we do in a normal decade. And parents are trying to deal with this. And failing, and taking that on themselves. We will not be the same psychologically after this. I don’t see how minimizing this is even a thing.

27 Likes

Co-signed.

As a single parent with a teen who is doing incredibly well considering all the negative circumstances, I can say that we are still struggling with the impacts of the pandemic. The strain on both our mental health is quite real, and it’s often a difficult challenge trying to stay sane, healthy and even mildly optimistic amid all this constant fuckery.

23 Likes

Parent: I’m exhausted from two years of trying to protect my family from this virus and terrified for the safety of my children in a world that clearly doesn’t have its shit together.

Pundit: Have you tried just ignoring the ongoing global pandemic, maybe go out for a cocktail at Chili’s?

23 Likes

Same here (although with the Canadian perspective). It’s exhausting. Our daughter (nearly 7) is doing her best, but she’s had a few meltdowns where she just needs to cry (as recently as last week).

Although, along with covid, my wife broke her ankle about a month ago, which isn’t helping things at all. Her stress levels are hitting new peaks, I’m doing twice as much work as normal (and falling behind on everything), and my kid often spends her days wandering around looking for things to do.

My wife and I both work from home (since the before times), so that helps a lot. But we still can’t keep up. One or both of us is behind at any given time (which leads to my kid complaining that I’m working too much).

18 Likes

I know those feels, and you have my sincere sympathy; it didn’t have to be this way.

14 Likes

Thanks! It really didn’t have to be this way. But we’re lucky enough live in a region that’s basically the epicenter of delta right now. It’s so disheartening. I’m hoping the new vaccine mandate and passport system they’ll be rolling out here soon makes a difference.

Also, somehow I forgot to mention that all the forest fires and smoke have kept us inside during most of the summer (wife and daughter have asthma). It’s been a FUUUUUUUUN summer /s

17 Likes

I’m certainly grateful that both of my children are old enough to get the vaccine and be self-directed enough to deal with on-line school. I’ve mentioned it before but my ASD kid seemed to do especially well with remote learning. On the other hand my neurotypical kid is lonely and it breaks my heart. I feel really bad for the parents of younger kids, especially those who are not able to work from home themselves.

12 Likes

Me too, child. Me too.

18 Likes

Likewise, I’m lucky in that I have two vaccinated kids who are quite independent. However, the older one is having a rough time of it. She is a great kid, but she’s had more problems manifest as the pandemic has dragged on. Authorities are treating this like business as usual, but they really need to give more consideration to the academic reality for students through this pandemic. She had some instructors who rose to the occasion and created amazing remote curriculum. She had some who phoned it in (while probably dealing with their own struggles) and some who would go completely unresponsive for the whole term. Read this, do this, goodbye, good luck, I’m going AWOL. That’s not education and it’s not ok to hold kids responsible for that.

20 Likes

BOR forbade mandates on public unis… I believe that private schools like Emory and Agnes Scott probably have mandates, though.

Yeah… us too.

OH, and on top of no mandates, WE are responsible for creating a seating chart so they can do contact tracing in case of an outbreak…

And UGA just announced that they will be going full tilt on the football season this year. No restrictions. My BIL is a season ticket holder… nor is he vaccinated… :woman_facepalming:

15 Likes

The only reason I see for keeping the original first comment is not to loose your responses. I’ve never seen a more blatant case of in your face as a first post under a topic on the BBS.

Flagged.

5 Likes

You try spending 24/7 quarantined with a couple of kids while simultaneously attempting to work by Zoom.

8 Likes

I’m at the same level of privilege - I’ve worked part-time from home since long before COVID, as has my spouse, so our reaction to COVID was just to take our kid out of preschool and start homeschooling her at the age of 4. I’ve got some background in tutoring, so teaching her wasn’t as much of a problem for me as it would be for other parents. As it happens, we just got the results from the standardized testing she was supposed to complete before entering a charter school homeschool program for kindergarten. She is at a 1st grade level in both reading and math, at the age of 5. She tested at a 3rd grade level for some of the reading questions, even.

I am with you that really, the problem is that full-time work is incompatible with family. Yeah, you can cobble together some sort of semblance of “having it all” when there is plenty of other people to help with childcare (schools or daycares), but there is just no way a parent can work 8 hour days (or more) and raise a child at the same time. With 3-4 hour workdays (like my spouse and I are working), you can trade off working and childminding, and there’s no stress (and even if you’re a single parent, it’s easier to keep a kid quiet for 3-4 hours than for 8 hours). And there is really no reason to make workdays this long - it’s just an arbitrary decision.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.