The nine rules of "Freddish": the positive, inclusive empathic language of Mr Rogers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/09/lets-talk-freddish.html

23 Likes

giphy%20(4)

40 Likes

Two things:

1. Fred Rogers was an amazing person, full stop.

2. I seriously think Freddish needs to be incorporated into public discourse, as a way of steering us back towards effective, rational conversations.

58 Likes

May I be completely Freddish with you?

19 Likes

Go for it; Freddish away.

20 Likes

Freddish That!

19 Likes

25 Likes

You’re Freddish to the Max!

13 Likes

I read this story a few days ago: “I wonder” is my go-to sentence starter to get my kids to listen without explicitly telling them what to do.

And thought “wow, this is great, I am going to try this with my kids”

But, now I see this Freddish thing and man oh man, this is just great.

14 Likes

22 Likes

Stop it, you’ll make me cry.

15 Likes

20 Likes

tumblr_p7h396JQt61qbqtleo1_500

16 Likes

So maybe I’m just feeling really fucking cynical today.

But doesn’t this this feel like in a different context that it would be some bullshit that would guide Roger Ailes or Newt Gingrich?

Mr. Rodgers is a national treasure.

But sometimes I think that people like Roger Ailes grokked Noam Chomsky, Marshall McLuhan, and even Mr. Rogers on a “how too” level instead of a “watch out for this” level. Now the rest of us are just playing catch up.

1 Like

The important thing is you’re playing, stay safe Cowboy / Cowgirl.

11 Likes

As a father of a 1 and 3-year old this makes me smile. Maybe just take it at face value from one of the few trustworthy sources in our lives?

Don’t sweat the sociopath talking heads; they will keep doing their thing regardless of the source of their dark inspiration.

9 Likes

Thanks buckaroo, I’m doing my best to prove that true love is real.

8 Likes

Maybe we should use this form of speech with our elected representatives. They seem a little slow on the up take. Some how I don’t think it will get past the cash stuffed in their ears.

2 Likes

Somewhat off topic, I just finished Season 1 of “Kidding,” a magnificently dark comedy about a Mr. Rogers-type character faced by the tragedies of everyday life. Jim Carey in the lead role allows himself to age at last into a baffled manbaby; Frank Langella plays his father, trying to protect their lucrative brand; & Catherine Keener plays his sister. The writing explores the conflicts faced by somebody trying to stay “positive” in today’s world. I found it really beautiful & weird.

3 Likes

To the native speakers: how is “good” a judgement while “important” isn’t?

5 Likes