The “NOW That's What I Call Music” Dad Rock compilation will haunt you

This definition is perfect.

But what? No Rush or Rick Wakeman?

4 Likes

Given the recent decline in the popularity of Rock as a genre, you could put any well known Rock songs on there and have it as “Dad music”.

To me, it seems like they’re fulfilling their brief if they were asked to “Find a bunch of generically popular Rock tracks that the average 35-55 year old guy will know and not object to.”

Because all that has ever mattered to the NOW compilers is that the tracks they choose come from the correct publishers, so they can squeeze a few more sales out of the back catalogue.

8 Likes

So, let’s parse this out:

1. It’s fine
  2. No
  3. Meh
  4. No
  5. No
  6. It’s fine
  7. No
  8. No
  9. HELL no
  10. NOOOOOOO!
  11. Wrong choice
  12. It’s fine
  13. No
  14. No
  15. Wrong choice
  16. It’s fine
  17. No
  18. No
  19. No
  20. No
  21. No
  22. That’s fine
  23. Yes
  24. No
  25. No
  26. Hell no
  27. No
  28. Absolutely NOT
  29. No
  30. No
  31. Yes…

… I got bored. Never mind. Most of these are songs I wouldn’t put on my own mix collections. Very boring mix.

8 Likes

Eh, 98% of the list is “fine,” I’m not going to turn off the radio if it comes on. 2% of it, I might randomly start belting out “♫ THE ACE OF SPADES! ♪” just because that’s what I do sometimes. 0% of it is music I would actively seek out on any given day.

8 Likes

How can they call it “dad rock” when there’s 1 no Squeeze (google them if you don’t know them, they’re brilliant!) 2 no Sting 3 no Beatles and 4 no AC/DC and only ONE Bon Jovi track? granted they chose the best Bon Jovi track of the whole lot. I don’t have a dad and basically haven’t for a 34 years I get my mother a Father’s Day present every year because she raised me on her own and did a very good job. I might get her this actually.

10 Likes

I think naming it this way is not aimed at dads, but rather aimed at people wanting to buy gifts for dads.

23 Likes

Likely to be slightly more appreciated than socks, I’ll give it that much.

10 Likes

There are plenty of pure rock Prince songs. Purple Rain to start with. Not only stone cold rock but also anthem.

11 Likes

Now That’s What I Call The Best Album Sleeve Quote.

18 Likes

I think the only rock on my mom’s Mom Rock list would’ve been early hits by Chicago. Pop, RnB, Jazz, Reggae, and Calypso were her faves. That’s the problem with such a narrow categorization of tunes. They might do better coming up with collections of tunes based on a theme or keywords. :thinking:

7 Likes

Good call on Alone Again Or. I’m gonna have this one stuck in my head for the rest of the weekend and I’m not even a little annoyed about that.

4 Likes

Another criteria of fitting into the dad rock demo is defiantly disputing tracks belong on the dad rock list in the first place!

5 Likes

This version by The Damned is also good. The surreal/oniric clip is one of my favorite videclips form yore.

9 Likes

So… more like this?

This is never not funny.

avengers-thor-nope

Both are great songs…

16 Likes

52. Eric Clapton – “I Shot the Sheriff”

I can’t even, really, just never play that again, ever.

11 Likes

Isn’t this just a playlist from any classic rock cover band you can find in any bar for the last 30 years?

8 Likes

Ha, when I was young I had a tape of their greatest hits, and despite them musically boring me half to death I kept going back and listening more. They just had something compelling going on that kept me coming back. Good hooky pop.

4 Likes

Well dad hated rock (“what’s that thoompa-thoompa music you’re listening to”), he was more of a Kinsgton Trio/Peter Paul and Mary kinda guy. Mom was easy listening. I think The Carpenters was about as close to rock as either of them got.

3 Likes

Not sure how they came up with this list, it’s all over the place from classic rock to frat rock to just the occasional popular song or very alternative “hit”.

I don’t think Roxy Music’s Love is the Drug is “dad rock” by any definition, nor Iggy’s “Search and Destroy” nor MGMT’s “Kids” but I think they got the rights to those songs and didn’t know what else to do with them.

And come on, Torn by Natalie Imbruglia is Dad Rock? And Avrile Lavigne Complicated? those were monster pop hits…I guess if they’re big enough pop hits you can categorize them anywhere, even call them “Dad rock”?

The Jam – “Town Called Malice” ? Just because it’s an older song? I guess Now… is a UK thing so it makes some sense…

I dunno, I thought Dad rock was supposed to be more homogenous than this list. There’s too many oddball choices to make a good case as to what “dad rock” is supposed to be.

4 Likes

Wow. That’s a log going on in that video! I love it.

I got turned on to the song by a band called Calexico. I’ve got a version on a live recording I downloaded ages and ages ago from the internet archive. The song always takes me back to the dank little basement apartment I was living in at the time.

5 Likes