The “NOW That's What I Call Music” Dad Rock compilation will haunt you

Except 24 is one of the greatest songs written in the last 30 years so you giving it a hard no is not screaming confidence in your taste

1 Like

I feel like “dad rock” is anything that is assertively posited as superior because of familiarity and nostalgia.

It’s not a genre, it’s a state of mind.

7 Likes

Some of that for sure is “Dad Rock”. Some of that came out not that long ago (Bastille) and is more like Older Brother Rock.

Stuff like Deep Purple is Grandpa Rock.

1 Like

As I understand it, Dad Rock is a derogatory term for the music boring old white dudes like, so I am not sure if an equivalent is something to aspire to for other demographics.

2 Likes

The guiding principle for the curation of this list seems to be “the worst song of a questionable band”. Except for Iggy and the Stooges. Now that’s what I call real music.

1 Like

Basically the album is designed to be bought in the last filling station before home when you realise you have forgotten Father’s Day.

It could be much, much worse

3 Likes

Shoo, my dad’s tracklist would all be Broadway cast recordings of songs from musicals. Yes. Yes, he was gay.

I’m 60. Never been a dad. But I sorta agree with dommerdoodle. Except, I’m one of those tail-end Boomers, I relate more to Gen X. So, less Doors, and more Cars.

2 Likes

Not sure why everyone here is getting their panties in a twist over this CD. All they did was make a big list of randomly chosen songs that were on the radio (some hits, some “oldies”) and if you’re old enough you will recognize and maybe sing along to, then cross off all the ones they couldn’t get any kind of rights to include. And have someone spend 20 minutes making a cover. That’s it. There’s no other cultural statement attempted here.

4 Likes

But the real question is, are these the original hits by the original artists, or remakes by a band called “Original Artists”?

5 Likes

would make me chuck the CD out the window.

I can’t even say…
I’ve became a dad a couple of times in the 90’s, got the compulsory master in dad jokes, and listened to rock for all my sentient life.
Of that list I know about 15%, and like exactly two songs: “Search and destroy” and “Town called Malice”.
What does RUN DMC have to do with rock?

I’ll go and listen to some good modern rock. instead (today: Screaming Females)

13 Likes

Oh, I see!
It’s a typical case of:

Me, in my 40s: I’m going to make some jam.

7 Likes

Marketing by its nature is debasing. Lowest common denominator. You can never predict people’s tastes with perfect accuracy. Those “reaction” videos where young black guys get blown away by Pink Floyd and Phil Collins for example.

In this case, Aerosmith.

9 Likes

3 Likes

Are you kidding? Run-DMC (with the help of Rick Rubin) was an originator of rap rock genre. Their cover of Walk this Way basically resuscitated Aerosmith’s career.

7 Likes

So, if you’re thirteen, your dad’s probably going to be early forties. Born in 1978, say, they’d have been eighteen in 1996. I stopped paying attention to rock music ten years before that. Were people still making new rock music then?

1 Like

People are making rock music right now.

12 Likes

I’ve been in on ongoing battle on Facebook with my 36 year old daughter, she’s big into Kpop and BTS is her favorite. Every time she posts a video I flood the responses with my idea of classic rock from the 70s and early 80s a little 90s because of Meatloaf. My taste is heavy weighted toward Queen, Eddie Money, Meatloaf, Pat Benatar, Carol King, Neil Diamond, Blondie, Babys, J Geils, etc… But I try and dig deep and only live performances. I was winning in the likes department but she is unstoppable. Any how I think my stuff is representative of dad rock if your dad is in his late 50s. On the plus side, she also has my taste in music, we’ve been to some great concerts, took her to a few Meatloaf shows when she was very young but I also had to endure front row seats to Back Street Boys, Hanson, and New Kids. Here’s my idea of great rock.

2 Likes