The “NOW That's What I Call Music” Dad Rock compilation will haunt you

@the_borderer

Nice! I’ve never heard either of your nominees before, adding them to a playlist now.

The wider the definition of rock the better.

@marence

Elvis has the definitive version of Peace Love and Understanding as far as I’m concerned. I can’t hear the Nick Lowe version without wanting Elvis’ delivery.

I will never not listen to the Peter Gunn theme. I like to pair it with Secret Agent Man - Devo by preference, but I love the the Ventures’ version too (my dad taught me to play guitar from the Ventures Walk Don’t Run).

5 Likes

#29: Free: “All Right Now”
Why pay for that one when I can almost guarantee if you turn on your local “classic rock” FM station it’s on “Right Now.”

It occurred to me that a category test for “dad rock” could be to ask yourself: if these channels still played music, if the video were shown today, would this be on MTV, or VH1?

If all those “Baby Mozart” CDs didn’t work (now that Junior done been all growed up), maybe this will provide consolation.

A fringe benefit of having a 3-CD set of this (see list of songs): you can clear any group of under-30 year olds congregating in your house, for any reason, at any time, as long as you crank it.

4 Likes

The saddest thing on the list is the newer bands from “after my time” like Imagine Dragons who formed in 2008.

2 Likes

19 Likes

Mom and Dad had to be Rocking at some point. Otherwise they wouldn’t be Mom and Dad.

4 Likes

In the future, the soundtrack of retirement homes will be punk rock and house music. I already have my playlist.

emile hirsch GIF

13 Likes

God save the me! I’m just a human being!

3 Likes

Mum Rock and Dad Rock’s existence explains the unfortunate creation of Kid Rock.

3 Likes

Only one person of color
and only two women.
Because the producers are sure that cis-white maleness is the standard by which we all judge ourselves…

2 Likes

The most excellent Good Steely Dan Takes twitter account has some great takes that work for defining this topic if you substitute whichever band for Steely Dan. If you see yourself in this, you just might be listening to dad/mom rock…

2 Likes

Just dropping back in to say…mommy’s alright & daddy’s alright.

15 Likes

If you really want to hate that song…

And it’s the villains who sing it.

Most Squeeze is very good, but for the love of dog, not Pulling Mussels (from the Shell). I hate that song.

3 Likes

I totally forgot him. What did happen to this guy? Ok, nevermind.

1 Like

God should’ve created two Hells; one for clever sinners and one for dipshits like him.

4 Likes
  1. Natalie Imbruglia – “Torn”

How odd. I would have said the original version of “Torn” by Ednaswap is definitely rock, though I’m not going to venture an opinion as to whether it’s “Dad Rock”.

Kudos to Natalie for her cover. Most people doing covers try to reproduce the original or make relatively minor changes. Natalie made major changes, moving it to a different musical genre. It’s a brilliant cover, but I wouldn’t call it rock.

3 Likes

Maybe turn around the definition: “Dad Rock” is what happens when the kid puts on their preferred music, and the dad goes all “Weird Al” on them. For example, consider “Yellow Hearts,” frequently heard whilst driving the kid to school in pre-Covid days. Dad Rock would entail singing “Yellow Hearts” thusly:

She stained her skivvies with yellow sharts
Out on the front lawn playin’ Jarts
She tried to blame me for her farts
But it was her, who cut 'em in Language Arts, Language A-a-a-r-r-rts…

It turns out someone on Tiktok had beat me to it (and now I can’t find that), but I didn’t know that when I came up with mine…

Living Colour is the rock band

In Living Color was an unrelated TV show

Dad rock is after classic rock now?

I guess Hendrix is grandpa rock then

2 Likes

I never would have given him a thought either way but then he went and sullied Warren Zevon so yeah he can rot.