The “NOW That's What I Call Music” Dad Rock compilation will haunt you

Cartoons are fine, it’s that jerk Gene Simmons I’m reacting to. He’s such a misogynistic asshole.

9 Likes

pretty gud

I like almost all of these songs.

7 Likes

Word.

I don’t have any kids; but I would like more socks.

Parfitt and Rossi were the Daddest of Rock Dads.

Kenickie were popfection.

I saw Glen Tilbrook live at Cropready; and his banged out the hits, one after another. I didn’t realize how much of the Squeeze catalogue I knew. Their lyrics were always inventive.

5 Likes

The first rule of Dad Rock is you argue about Dad Rock?
The second rule of Dad Rock is you argue about Dad Rock!

4 Likes

This 23 track compilation was released in 1996 but might qualify.
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Ladykillers/release/2767248

@the_borderer It does have Weak on it.

2 Likes

The best thing about this is that they couldn’t afford to fit The Boss on any of the three obsolete compact discs and how by playing around with the playlist sort order you could make the listening experience so much more painful and hilarious.
Just reading the songs gave me the creeps.
Strip out the vocals however and you have yourself a completely sloppy drunk karaoke party on your hands

2 Likes

As a punk rock / art student / kitchen guy in the 1980’s I can say that
it was as rich and rewarding as every other decade.
Except for the pay… the pay sucked.

5 Likes

Strangely enough all the Now That’s Music CDs are the only consistently circulating CDs at our library.

1 Like

Ugh, that means count me out. He’s a complete scumbag I have no interest in supporting.

Edit: as Mindysan points out above.

5 Likes

Hah. I just post it here because rock, dad etc.

It is an old and boring cartoon. Don´t waste your time watching it.

1 Like

I did love those mad saints for so wholly embracing Discordianism. Fnord.

1 Like

Oh, that reminds me!

Maybe too cool to count as Dad Rock tho.

17 Likes

Their cover of Suspicious Minds was great.

9 Likes

Does Imagine Dragons really have fans? The boredom they inspire led me to believe they were some sort of marketing scam involving paid follows and likes.

The worst format to emerge in radio history is Adult Contemporary. I would have thought “Dad Rock” was supposed to be that boring shit - for those moments when you need to listen to Phil Collins, I guess?

Is dad rock classified as “eh, not so bad.” Because that’s what that list feels like to me. Like music that doesn’t change my heart rate much. If I was driving cross country I wouldn’t change that station.

1 Like

I would. It would suck to fall asleep and swerve off this world.

This is my Go For A Walk list. It gets me from home to the Y and back.
(Been a mom since 1980, so it’s all oldies)

10 Likes

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)

Hedwig: So if any of you out there are looking for the song that’s going to be your big hit, you should pay attention, because we are talking to Phil Collins’ people. But then again… aren’t we all?

9 Likes

Nice conclusion. Considered adding “Where the Streets Have No Name” and “You’re Lost Little Girl”?

3 Likes