The once-classified tale of Juanita Moody and the Cuban Missile Crisis

Originally published at: The once-classified tale of Juanita Moody and the Cuban Missile Crisis | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I had an opportunity on one trip to Cuba to listen to a local tour guide tell the story of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Other than beginning the story in Turkey (which is how I teach it to undergrads, but generally not how it’s taught in USAn K-12 schools) they tell a remarkably similar tale. The main difference is the lesson they take away: Cuba is never in control of its own destiny, it is always caught between countries and empires larger than itself.

8 Likes

The more I learn about the Cuban Missile Crisis, the more I see how a nuclear war was averted mainly due to a bunch of small factors like this, any of which could have easily gone in the other direction. We as a species got incredibly lucky back in October of 1962.

3 Likes

Or business interests, or financial institutions, or the mob. Take your pick.

8 Likes

True enough. I almost wrote “forces larger than itself.” As an aside, cakes like that are a pretty common sight on the streets of Havana. Not with the Cuba-themes decoration, but big cakes with frosting. It’s kind of funny.

4 Likes

Speaking of Cuban cakes, Porto’s now ships bake-at-home “refugiados” (because, well, Cuban refugees something something something) and my quarantined ass is fighting a (cold) war with the four boxes of guava pastries in the freezer.

3 Likes

Mmmm…pastelitos . . . .

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.