The One Million Moms hate groups is triggered by fruit bowls

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/16/the-one-million-moms-hate-grou.html

10 Likes

Oh I remember these terrible people from the 90s. I didn’t even know they’d been outed for what they truly are and classified as a hate group.

GOOD!

25 Likes

As we’ve pointed out before, “the group’s true size obviously falls far short of its ambitious name, and may even be the effort of a single person operating under the broader aegis of the American Family Association.”

It reminds me of the Catholic League, which was basically an assistant, a largely defunct and stale direct-mail list, and Bill Donohue hanging around midtown Manhattan waiting for a cable news outlet to give yet another chance to speak on behalf of “millions of Catholics” in the name of some bigoted right-wing cause.

36 Likes

“We eat a lot of fruit bowling fruit bowls.”

How can anyone find that offensive? It’s cute and charming. Reminds me of being a kid and saying “geez” in front of a super religious evangelical person from my parents’ church and being berated for “taking the lord’s name in vain.” Apparently they thought “geez” was the equivalent of saying “Jesus.”

24 Likes

The most ridiculous aspect of this to me is…they accuse libs of fostering a “cancel culture”.

Looks to me like the RWNJ’s are the ones who are constantly aggrieved and trying to censor the rest of us.

35 Likes

Thank god Trump is standing up to “cancel culture”, so he will put a stop to this blatant attempt to silence Dole’s freedom of speech, post haste.

/s

24 Likes

It is, though, isn’t it? Just an abbreviated form, I think.

10 Likes

9 Likes

Can we not with using “triggered” as a joke word?

6 Likes

That’s the whole point of “cancel culture”. They demand freedom of speech for themselves, but when progressives use freedom of speech to hold them to account they start crying about how they are being treated unfairly.

It was never about equal rights and responsibilities, they don’t believe in that concept.

34 Likes

Reminds me of the excellent Orbitz commercial:

18 Likes

I think they believe in the concept- or at least believe they do- they just really don’t comprehend what that truly means.

3 Likes

Its nice to see that their facebook page broke 100k likes. Good for them.

12 Likes

Right - it’s much faster than saying, “cheese 'n rice!” :laughing:

11 Likes

These commercials are hilarious! My wife and I totally had a second language going so we could talk freely without the kid knowing. It started out spelling words but the kid caught on (rather fast, in a scary fashion) and we had to switch things up.

14 Likes

I already had some of these bowls in my emergency rations. Seeing this makes me want to buy more. I’m not on FB, but wondering what other products this hate group finds offensive. :thinking:

12 Likes

And the subtext-less version:

8 Likes

I am planning to start a group called One Million Moans. Our job will be to roll our eyes, facepalm and - yes - give an exhausted moan whenever someone finds something completely innocuous, banal, or stupid to be upset about.

30 Likes

I’d like to be a charter member.
Also: When I was a young gay guy in the sixties, we joked that a “fruit bowl” was the playoff game for a gay football league.

22 Likes

That is what I always thought and I find it weird that people spell it geez instead of jes.

3 Likes