The Ongoing Gallery of Trump-Inspired Assholes

(emphasis mine)
jeebus, Megs, entitled much?
of course you are!
do you know who my daddy was?” by all means, Ms. McCain, right this way to the front of the line!

16 Likes

I keep coming back to Maya Angelou at times like these.

2 Likes

Postmaster General DeJoy apologizes for ‘unacceptable’ mail delays during holidays - ABC News (go.com)

Considering that his whole goal in being appointed was to destroy the USPS and privatize its services, (and that he apparently owns stock in some of those same companies that would benefit from this) this seems to be proceeding as planned. I understand that there are issues with flat-out canning his ass, but the administration needs to figure out a way to eliminate his influence as the “last Trumpist standing.”

16 Likes

They got 3 new members for the board that need to go through confirmation. If that happens, then they can shit can his ass and hire someone who can fix what he fucked up and come up with long term solutions for the solvency of the PO.

18 Likes

this, very much this. it will seriously be easier to get them confirmed than it would to try to fire dejoy for cause. sad but true.

11 Likes

Once they are confirmed, they can fire DeJoy. Biden can’t. As I understand it at least.

12 Likes

he can only fire “for cause” which is a nightmare of civil service boards and congressional approval. of course if the senate refuses to confirm the three choices biden made it could still get sticky but i think on this that romney or murkowski might give way if manchin or sinema got squirrely.

12 Likes

The Post Office used to be a normal federal department and the postmaster was a cabinet position

The scheme that exists now, with a “board” and the postal service having to “break even” every year, is part of an effort to privatize it or eliminate it, which is proceeding … very … slowly

16 Likes

It should just go back to being a federal department. Every single issue they are having is due to the attempt to privatize.

If we haven’t learned that some things can’t be run by the “free market” after the fiasco in texas, then we never will.

16 Likes

SMFH. What assholes.

11 Likes

I like to listen to old time radio shows, and Gunsmoke is a classic. I know it’s not helpful to wish to go back to those times (and I don’t) but reading stories like this one from NYC, I DO wish we still had enough of a sense of a common culture that stabbing a person in the back would earn you a lifetime of shame, like it would in fictional Dodge.
The former guy threw any remnants of that idea out with the trash. I don’t know how to go about getting it back.

4 Likes

I don’t think it really existed back in the Wild West. It was a way to sell newspapers and books back east, not reality. As we dig into the history of the American West, the less it looks like the stories, whether it was the serials of the time or spaghetti Westerns. Kinda like stories of knights and damsels and the chivalric code. It was grittier than the stories, to the point it was really just fiction.

8 Likes

Hmmmm, I can see that.
But did being a US Marshall still make a man watchful, and a little lonely? Or is that all bunkum, too?

But srsly, it does seem like there was more of a civic code, generally, in the public byways, than what I see now. Now it’s kind of like, “How dare you!” speak to someone about how they’re behaving, whereas I get the impression that decades ago it would be pretty normal to get scolded for cussing in front of children on the street, or crossing against the light (which I still see in German cities - the being scolded for it).

3 Likes

eta: And people say that the Republican Party has no platform.

21 Likes

holy shit GIF

10 Likes

6 Likes

We are experiencing a moment that is exposing a schism between two groups: those who have faith that there is a way to arrive at truth using epistemological practices that originated during the Enlightenment, and those who believe that events and experiences are portents to be interpreted in ways that align with their personal values. As the sociologist and media scholar Francesca Tripodi has demonstrated, many conservatives read the news using techniques learned through Bible study, shunning secular interpretations of events as biased and inconsistent with their exegesis of primary texts such as presidential speeches and the Constitution.

How Librarians Can Fight QAnon - The Atlantic

11 Likes

I think they mean eisegesis.

12 Likes

Solid burn.

3 Likes
5 Likes