The only thing health insurance companies are good at is scaring us about socialized medicine

It’s going to happen one day- the geese as airborne shock troops, followed by a rapid takeover of the US by the entire population of Canada

Then you’ll all be sorry.

6 Likes

Given that 70% of Americans favour some kind of single payer health care, I don’t even think they are that good at scaring people about socialized medicine. They are probably very good at putting money into the pockets of people who really don’t care about long term viability and who are perfectly happy if the company goes bankrupt so long as they get paid. There comes a point in a pyramid scheme where you are supposed to take the money and run, and I think the American economy is past that point.

10 Likes

And that’s why they keep trying to sneak in avenues to privatization without actually saying that’s what they’re doing.

8 Likes

Thank you for explaining ED operational principles much better than I did.

There have always been this type of place for the wealthy in Canada. In Vancouver there’s Revera Crofton Manor, PARC Retirement, Legacy Senior Living and Louis Briar Home & Hospital. BMWs and Bentleys are the complementary shopping and medical appointment shuttles at some of these places.

4 Likes

Andrew Scheer’s an idiot. A dangerous idiot, but an idiot nonetheless. The big province in any election is Ontario; they are getting a bitter taste of what a right wing “Conservative” strong man brings to the table via Premier Ford. This example alone will hopefully be enough to get critical numbers of voters to shy away from the federal Conservative Party.

7 Likes

That depends on who you ask around here. “Why? So they can play games on their smart phones, and chew that steak they bought with their food stamps that my taxes paid for?”

So many people in this country lack a shred of empathy for anyone outside their monkeysphere. It’s revolting.

Makes me think of Br’er Rabbit: “Oh no! Don’t throw me into that socialized medical system!”

Haaaaave you met Don?

People really should have known better. They didn’t. They still don’t. He could be taking money from his supporters pockets and groping their loved ones, and they would feel blessed for the opportunity to meet him in person.

I’m just saying, don’t discount an idiot just because they are an idiot. Horrible things can happen.

5 Likes

Do you think the average Trump voter could understand or care about … ?

Not really.

1 Like

I think the average Trump voter could say the words “regulatory capture” as a way of justifying whatever it is they want to justify.

1 Like

I hope you are tight. The previous Ford was pretty scary, and knowing it’s brother is in charge keeps me from even wanting to visit Canada

If you’re that worried, just avoid Ontario. BC is nice right now - we’ve avoided the forest fire smoke in the Lower Mainland this summer.

It’s safe, at least until the Federal election is over. A provincial premier doesn’t have as much direct executive power as a state governor. For anything major, he needs the Ontario legislature, and they’re on holiday until after the election. Also, Ford’s been ordered to keep his damned mouth shut until then.

Scheer backtracked on the private school funding. (If elected, he’ll whip it out again.)

1 Like

My physician really got himself spun up about this a couple of visits ago. “They worry about death panels, and yet we already have 'em!” It got to the point that both of us nearly forgot why I’d come in :grinning:

5 Likes

Let’s just say that I am dealing with one of the worst fucking days of my life right now. It would be worse if I also had to worry about it coming with a $$$$$$$$$$ bill.

7 Likes

I hope there is an end in sight to whatever difficulties you’re in right now.

7 Likes

There should be a healthcare tax instead of insurance, everyone pays a percent of their income or X amount, whichever is more appropriate and the cost of your procedure or doctor visit etc. is billed to that pool, maybe have an excess charge if the procedure is voluntary.
The state of ones health shouldn’t be going to line some shareholders pockets.

5 Likes

queen-elizabeth-this

This is a weirdly hard concept for some people the grasp in America, which scares the shit out of me. It shows just how blinded people are by the capitalist ideology we’re all swimming in. Making money off of illness is evil. Full stop.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.