The origins of giving the finger

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/23/history-of-giving-the-finger.html

5 Likes

Hmm. I thought long and hard about this, but after a while couldn’t take anymore and just had to let it go.

3 Likes

Was this such a mystery? It seems pretty obvious that the extended finger represents the phallus, the curled fingers the testes, and the whole package means “fuck you.”

4 Likes

I see what you did there

4 Likes

Maybe it was George Carlin? Somewhere I recall a comedian with a great routine about the absurdity of “fuck you” as an insult. “Fuck me? . . . Well, I do have a date tonight and I’m hopeful.”

“Oh, and fuck you, too! Thank you very much.”

5 Likes

Hence the popularity of “unfuck” as an epithet here.

Also, just for fun:
mr rogers middle finger GIF

4 Likes

I really, really don’t want to denigrate my alma mater in any way (and in this case I really don’t see any real reason to doubt the expertise cited), BUT this is not the first time Boing Boing has used a Windsorite as a supposed authoritative source:

Years ago, I regularly took the same bus as the so-called Grimace expert. While he seemed like a perfectly nice lad, I would question why, exactly, he possessed secret fast food wisdom??

3 Likes

Oh shit, did I leave the window shade up?

4 Likes

Leading of course to the inevitable existential schoolyard battle:

Fuck you!

Well unfuck you!

Yeah? Well unfuck your mother!!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.