This is the best ever Wikipedia "[citation needed]"

Originally published at: This is the best ever Wikipedia "[citation needed]" | Boing Boing

16 Likes

I may or may not have Schrodinger’s cat’s nose.

15 Likes

24 Likes

13 Likes

21 Likes

… and now some kill-joy has supplied the citation. This is why we can’t have nice things …

11 Likes

Isn’t that a rude gesture in some cultures? :smiley:

8 Likes

Who can say how many noses were removed until it was perfected?

10 Likes

That is definitely the best “citation needed” ever. Made me happy.

4 Likes

Yeah, something about a fig and a donkey, but I’m scared to google it.

2 Likes

That gesture is also employed as a ward against someone attempting to cast an evil eye spell upon you.

4 Likes

This is also letter “t” in the ASL alphabet.

3 Likes

I still think the best is on the page listing known varieties of whales.

Where they are missing a picture it says “ceatacean needed”.

11 Likes

“…and then your father yelled “got your nose” and ran away. He ran away, ran away with my nose Harry. You see, I wasn’t born a monster. It was that day I knew, knew, I must rule the world to prevent others suffering as I did. That day I decided to make an example to end the barbaric tradition of nose-theft, that muggles think is just a game. That is why your father had to die.”

7 Likes

You have you mother’s eyes, but I’ve got your nose.

5 Likes

Even better than my favourite edit.

17 Likes

Absolutely - not seem much today in Italy but definitely was (since the Romans, AFAIK), here from “Divina Commedia” XXV canto of Inferno:
Al fine de le sue parole il ladro,
le mani alzò con amendue le fiche,
gridando: “Togli, Dio, ch’a te le squadro!”

The thief, at the conclusion of his words,
lifted his hands with both their figs, and cried:
“Take that, O God, for ’t is to Thee I show them!”

Taken from here

Now, “figs” is not the actual translation. The original text says “le fiche” (fem. pl. form), figs would be “i fichi” (ma. pl. form)
Fica is the vulgar Italian word for external female genitalia - as clearly represented by the gesture.
Note that used as an adjective, the word has a positive connotation, akin to “cool”.

7 Likes

That’s my book! But I don’t remember writing anything about where the nose goes!

8 Likes

Welcome to the board Caspar!

6 Likes

I’m kind of curious about who came across this and why they were looking that up on Wikipedia.

2 Likes