The Outer Worlds remaster announced

Originally published at: The Outer Worlds remaster announced | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I’ll get to it soon!

10 Likes

:sighs: not even five years old and it’s getting a remaster?
Cash grab, methinks.

6 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I guess on paper it probably is a remaster, but i would rather it be called something else maybe. Seems silly to release a remaster for something that’s relatively recent but hey i heard good things about it. As someone that never played it i am excited to see that they’re updating it and adding new things to the title. Glad i held out i guess?

2 Likes

It was a decent game-story, but the encounters became very repetitious very quickly. A handful of different bad guys, each with exactly 3 variants - weak, normal, and strong. Over and over and over. Became kind of a grind to get from plot point to plot point.

5 Likes

I keep getting this confused with The Outer Wilds, which sounds like a much more intriguing game.

6 Likes

Was going to say the same thing!

I am part way through Outer Wilds and it’s a very interesting game, I’m told it’s a short game so I’m trying to get all I can out of it…

1 Like

I liked this game (it seemed to be as close to ‘Firefly: the Video Game’ as they could get without paying for a license) but if there’s not actually new content, then might as well just keep waiting for the second game.

4 Likes

Exactly. Your shipmates even include a cute woman engineer and s preacher who is losing his faith. Where have we seen those before? But I did enjoy the game even if it wasn’t exactly novel.

2 Likes

It includes the DLC, so YMMV on “new”

2 Likes

Oh, you think that’s bad - I still haven’t gotten around to playing the original Dead Space (1). My Steam backlog is absolutely full of games that they’ve totally remade, not to mention remastered, before I get around to playing them…

Since they seem to have dispensed, to some degree, with console generations and now release new versions of existing consoles (none of which I keep track of), I’m never sure how many of these “remasters” are actually just ports taking advantage of new console upgrades that also get released for PC. That seems to be a lot of the motivation behind these “remasters,” though. (The other is releasing a “remaster,” often with some previous DLC content, as a way of keeping the price up on an older game.)

1 Like

At least that’s from this century.

One of the rows of Galaxy for installed games:

5 Likes

Coincidentally, I also have Morrowind and Fallout New Vegas currently installed (and barely started). I have Fallout 2 and Tactics, still unplayed, Freedom Force I bounced off of, years ago, but I have the sequel, untouched. I only mentioned Dead Space because it had a remake recently - my unplayed backlog includes a lot of much older games. (My GOG backlog is even older.) A significant chunk of my backlog I bought when Steam was new (but the games weren’t, necessarily) and still haven’t gotten around to.

2 Likes

A scary amount of my GoG backlog is games I actually have on disk and just bought there because I really do mean to do them at some point. Both Fallout and Freedom Force fall into that category, I have the original disks and manuals somewhere.

2 Likes

I also have a few games like that, but thankfully not so many, as previous to Steam, I didn’t buy a lot of games. (Which is also the heart of my problem - even when I didn’t buy a lot of games, I didn’t play/finish them all, but then started buying a lot of games, post-Steam.) These days I don’t dare buy games at all, and yet my backlog continues to fill up with freebees from various sources, many of which I would have bought… (Seeing unplayed games I had in my backlog being given away before I got around to playing them was quite effective in curing me of habit of buying games.)

I appreciated it for the character writing–the shootin’ monsters was not the main reason I enjoyed it. Helping Parvati overcome her shyness was one of the most charming things I’ve ever done in a videogame.

4 Likes

And toss Gamepass / PS+ on that.

I played Outer Worlds on XGP, I can wait for this to hit XGP until I play it.

2 Likes

I have quite a selection of unplayed games. Some i even payed full price when first released (See Elden Ring). Thankfully i don’t buy a lot games these days, but i also rarely go back and play games from my backlog.

3 Likes

Freedom Force? Now that’s a blast from the past! I remember starting it but never finishing it at the time. Kept thinking I’d get back to it but alas, never did.

Now I’m just playing City of Heroes, which is a very grindy MMO, but I can fly and shoot fire from my fingers, and I love it.

Outer Wilds wasn’t that short for me, but I didn’t know what I was doing. Great game.

Outer Worlds…I wanted to like it more. I thought about replaying it, but there’s just not enough there IMO. But speaking of Obsidian games, I do recommend Pentiment. It’s weird, educational, surprising, and fun.

3 Likes