The part everybody skips in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

I love that the DVD made that song its own chapter so you can easily skip it without missing anything else.

5 Likes

She’s got a golden thicket!

When I performed this show live a few months back, the very talented actress (Karissa Noel) who played Mrs. Bucket in our version sang a fast-forwarded version of it to a sped-up bg track while the show’s emcee (they are drunk stage readings) held the FF button on a remote pointed at her. That song is the worst.

7 Likes

My kids were starting to get frightened by the scary boat ride, but then there was a quick shot of a Giant African Millipede crawling on someone’s face, which relieved their fears. Kids love those things.

4 Likes

I might go to the kitchen during a scene I don’t care for but it never occurs to me to fast forward in the middle of a viewing.

2 Likes

Noooooo! Hushabye Mountain is one of the best songs in the movie. It’s Me Ol’ Bamboo that’s gotta go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What? That’s the soundtrack to my Bartitsu routine, you philistine!

1 Like

yeah, they are called the singing parts! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

what is really awkward is when a regular tv show decides a musical episode is in order, i’m looking at you psych, once upon a time, and so many others… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Come on. It’s not always a flop.

Buffy’s musical episode is one of the best Buffy episodes.

10 Likes

The thing about a Millipedist is he’s got lifeless eyes… Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin, and then you got a giant millipede living inside of you too!

4 Likes

We call these the “Go To The Bathroom” songs. It’s partly due to the musical style of the time that mandated a ballad, but it was also a canny way to give moms and dads a clear 4-minute window to take their kid to the restroom or snack bar and not miss anything. “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” is three hours long, mind you; along with “Hushabye Mountain” you have “Oh, What A Lovely, Lonely Man” for a bathroom break later in the film.

2 Likes

I watched this movie a bajillion times as a kid and I don’t remember this song at all. Am I experiencing a Berenstain Bears moment, or was there a VHS version without this song?

1 Like

Maybe you saw it on network TV. That song is a no-brainer for a cut, and easily gets them 4-5 ads without any damage to the story’s flow.

4 Likes

No, the part everyone skips is where I sob in terror while watching the movie at the drive-in on Cape Cod in 1971.

3 Likes

There’s a restaurant in Austin called Cheer up Charlie :smiley:

“Climb Every Mountain” in Sound of Music - Yes!!!

Every time I’ve watched this movie, aside from the very first time, I just watch it from the part where they get to the actual chocolate factory.

I adore this movie, but it could definitely have used some editing during all the business before they go inside. All the stuff with the international hunt for Wonka Bars, the computer that predicts Wonka bars, etc has aged really poorly. It’s pure magic as soon as Gene Wilder appears. Up until then it’s a bit of a slog.

4 Likes

Interestingly, the fizzy lifting drink part is not in the original book. I remember that scene in the movie being very controversial in my third grade class, where the book had been read to us by Miss Jensen.

I came here to say this. If you ever watched “Wonka” in syndication in the '70s and '80s, the song was missing. Sort of like “My World Is Beginning Today” was always cut from “Santa Claus is Coming to Town.”

2 Likes