The part everybody skips in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

That thought came to my mind while I was typing the reply up, but since it’s been a good 14 years since I read the book I didn’t want to be wrong.

Cheer up Charlie is one of my favorite melodies of all time. I never skip it.

1 Like

Exactly!!!

And kind of a deconstruction/reconstruction of the notion. Really a jewel.

1 Like

The only movie that ever bored me enough to warrant this was (and I know this is gonna ruffle some feathers, I apologize in advanced) “2001 A Space Odyssey”. I realize at the time this movie was revolutionary, but a few decades later it’s just really slow…

1 Like

I always wanted somebody to make a 40 minute cut of 2001 A Space Odyssey.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Blasphemy! Is there any scene that showcases Dick Van Dyke’s phenomenal natural grace more?

1 Like

Bah! The following soundly refutes your argument :stuck_out_tongue: :

3 Likes

Cheerfully conceded!

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

Calm down, Captain! Giant millipedes don’t have mouthparts capable of biting hominids.

Of course, there is that thing where they emit cyanide gas from spiracles lined up like portholes all down their sides, but never mind that, they don’t bite.

I’ve considered keeping some bumblebee millipedes, they are awesome.

Giant centipedes on the other hand…shudders…they ARE biters.

1 Like

It is slow paced but I still enjoy it when I am in the right mood and there are no distractions. But I can sympathize.

1 Like

I said millipedist. What does the ist imply?

I don’t know, because I googled “millipedist” and discovered a world of stock market shenanigans that promptly filled me with ennui.

1 Like

well what does the ist in the word medievalist imply about your relation to the medieval or the ist in communist imply about any communists relation to communism - repeat exercise for other common ists and isms.

Now I know what I meant when I made the joke so it’s unfair but I guess I would assume something like the following - bryan used the word millipedist and I have a picture of someone with a giant millipede on their face - I bet that’s the millipedist! What is a millipedist well a communist is someone who believes in (follows the precepts of, as in a true believer) communism and wants to further the goals of communism (in the vernacular) therefore a millipedist is someone who is a true believer in millipedes and wants to further the goals of millipedes (silly, because I bet millipedes have very primitive goals) At any rate the boy with the millipede on his face must be the millipedist under discussion. Then he says something about biting and making other people have millipedes inside them, that’s some sort of horror movie trope. Probably because the image is supposed to unsettling even though it is just really a beautiful and harmonious picture of a boy with his millipede feeling the rapture that can only be gotten from the love of a millipede for its carrier human.

This was probably a very poorly thought out bit of humor on my part, as it might put people off from having a giant millipede crawl over their face, through their nasal membrane and from there burrow to the brain stem where it can wrap around with glorious love the nervous center for the human host (host in the sense of a caring, welcoming person with whom you have a convivial evening of lively chat and camaraderie) which would actually be farthest from my intention. Indeed my jape was only made to highlight how ignorant anti-millipedist thought can be. And I hope that now everyone in this community can see that, and that you will all be happy to receive the packages I have sent you. If you do not receive a package from me that brings you joy and inner serenity please come to Golden Gate Park in San Francisco on May 29th. Lay in the soft grass and close your eyes. Hear the gentle breeze as it slithers through the grass to your waiting face. The rest of your long and peaceful life will soon begin.

1 Like

Dude. I was working off of memories of Miss Jensen reading that to our 3rd grade class in 1972. I was sweating bullets that I wasn’t suffering from False Memory Syndrome. :slight_smile:

I… I… can feel the love… it’s beautiful!