The passenger in this car is a real dummy

Originally published at: The passenger in this car is a real dummy | Boing Boing

4 Likes

That’s one fine dummy. Fred Sanford would be proud

6 Likes

When is a carpool dummy not a carpool dummy?

When that “carpool dummy” is a living, breathing, human being making minimum wage to sit there.
(Good use of an otherwise idle warehouse employee, and a very helpful pair of hands, or theft deterrent at your destination until you start your return journey back to warehouse.)

3 Likes

need we say more?

4 Likes
6 Likes

I wonder why nobody makes a passenger-seat dummy who’s sleeping?

6 Likes

Excellent question.

3 Likes

Once, there was this guy who
Didn’t want a passenger but still wanted to carpool
But when they pulled him over
His mannequin was the best that they had seen
He couldn’t quite explain so
They laughed as they arrested him

Mmm mmm mmm mmm
Mmm mmm mmm mmm

5 Likes

The answer may have to do with being the kind of person who thinks they can get away with having a dummy in the car — much less one in the front seat.

2 Likes

Or a dummy with head down, staring at a phone.

3 Likes

Truth is, all this effort is for nothing. Carpool lane abuse is rampant, and the ratio of offenders to CHP is so high that odds of getting caught are very low. I commuted in LA for years in an electric car, properly registered for HOV lane use and with all stickers properly in place, so I had a front row seat for the abuse. The worst offenders were Teslas with no stickers on them (wouldn’t want to mess up that fancy paint, but feel entitled to use the lane without following the rules). Plenty of other impatient drivers simply duck into the lane (often crossing the double yellow to do so) whenever they feel like it. In 8 years, I think I only saw three or four people get pulled over for this- all Black despite most offenders being white.

1 Like

I had the opposite problem: Live and tiny kids in the back, sleeping natch, but they couldn’t be seen by the police. I’d need a realistic full size dummy just to reduce the inconvenient check stops, and still be legal.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.