Police bust big dummy in the HOV lane

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/26/police-bust-big-dummy-in-the-h.html

6 Likes

How’d she rig up the dummy to turn the wheel like that?

22 Likes

Pogo

14 Likes

I betcha Duane Hanson could fool them.

https://www.saatchigallery.com/artists/duane_hanson.htm

10 Likes

I got a CPR dummy (really just a torso) at an auction as part of a larger lot, put clothes and sunglasses on it, and kept in the front seat of my car for a few months. People thought I was using it for the HOV lane, but I was really just trying to freak out anyone who walked by my parked car. Which worked. My commute at the time never needed the expressway, so the HOV lane was never an option.

8 Likes

Always Remember! You are better and more important than everyone else!
/s

14 Likes

I’m amazed that the police in Mesa actually enforce the 2-person-minimum HOV rule. The police in my town seem to actively avoid the freeways unless they have grant money to do special enforcement. (Speaking as a former police dispatcher, plus I can’t remember the last time I saw a cop on a freeway.)

2 Likes

Mesa, Arizona

Full Stop! No need to go any further.

10 Likes

That’s no way to speak of the love of his life.

15 Likes

I figure the way this guy got caught was his passenger was not moving, did not turn his head to look at the police car… so it’s just a matter of applying a little technology. I guess it will be a race to market between robot cars and robot passengers.

Related question: If my car is/has a self-driving AI does that qualify as another occupant for the purposes of HOV lanes?

5 Likes

Some guys have all the luck.

4 Likes

Is it just me, or does the not-a-mannequin dummy below the first have a Walter White feel?

6 Likes

walter-white-approves-of-this

6 Likes

3 Likes

Can it pass a Turing Test? Then, yes.
Can it pass a Driving Test? Then, no, as only a machine could drive so well.

The real question: will typing to program the extra “passenger” to cross bridges and underwater toll roads give you carpool tunnel syndrome?

4 Likes

Haha this is amazing!! This is up there with the commemorative “I like myself” ribbon I have.

2 Likes

You’re allowed to drive n the HOV here if you have an electric car. I think it might be funny to do this in an electric car… here.

3 Likes

Just got the craziest idea to bring the Weekend at Bernie’s franchise into the 21st century.

4 Likes

Maybe she was on her way to work at the department store?
Discrimination against mannequin americans, typical biological entitlement.

3 Likes

But I thought she lived at the department store!

*I only know this because I worked at a theater, and saw this movie a thousand times more than I actually wanted to.

6 Likes