The Pentagon has a device that can identify people without seeing their face

Or the millimeter wave scanner at the airport. They may not be doing that at the moment, but the infrastructure essentially already exists.

2 Likes

Hah, the joke’s on them! My heartbeat’s way to erratic to

1 Like

Last I’d heard, cardiac fingerprinting was junk science. Does anyone have a link to a research paper in which it actually worked worth a darn? If not, I’m going to write this story off as just another boondoggle involving worthless tech and gullible government officials.

3 Likes

The tinfoil hat people were right?!

1 Like

If only there were such a thing as wireless networks that allow one to transmit large amounts of data very quickly!

:wink:

2 Likes

Clearly this technology will not work on the discorporated. As a result it will likely break the ‘bullets to graves’ ecosystem if implemented in war zones. Therefore it will likely only be put in-place in peaceful rural towns of the American heartland.

I’m guessing they have a telescope that detects variations in the reflection of the laser, so a reflecting surface wouldn’t help. maybe Total Black or one of the minimally reflective paints could make a stealth mode. or a detector that mimics the return signal like with radar interference. low tech would be a battery powered motor strapped to your back that thumps you energetically and erratically like cell phone vibrator to screw up the return signal (and causes fibrillation too!).

what are bigger averages that was the first thing

over 95% accuracy under good conditions,

Oh so under ideal conditions it’ll label no more than 1 in 20 innocent people as terrorists. Impressive.

I suppose this system will be unlikely to be racially biased… (So this tech will obviously get dumped soon enough)

I think this calls for a sequel to Real Genius where the protagonists realize this is what they’re making, and turn their creation against the Pentagon by using it to identify the heads of the military-industrial complex paying for this so that the masses can bust into their houses and get back what was taken from them.

Or the popcorn thing again, because that was pretty funny, but I like my version better.

1 Like

OK, well played, but my impression of the device was that it was designed for use in remote areas like Afghanistan or Syria, looking for a bin Laden or al-Zarqawi in the dark. @Pensketch and @mmascari made a better point-- it’s unlikely a human cardio-gram would contain more data than say an mp3, and a terabyte of flash memory is not impossible in an ipod now.

2 Likes

InKH3T

There is no technical reason not for it to have data for every human alive. In this day and age forget any limitations on processing power or storage.

1 Like

Coming soon to a smart phone near you because phone makers love the bio-meterics for security, despite that being a terrible idea.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.