The philosophy and identity metaphysics of WandaVision

Originally published at: The philosophy and identity metaphysics of WandaVision | Boing Boing

1 Like

In fairness Tony had a pretty good answer.

8 Likes

Bewitched never examined which one was the real Darrin.

6 Likes

Paul Bettany really trolled the Marvel fans in an interview teasing a big guest star at the series finale:

Of course he was talking about himself.

6 Likes

Alter-Ego, that’s the mass appeal always has been always will. From the Greek Tragedies to modern playwrights/silver screen creators. The mask is only one part of the puzzle, the secrets that lay below the surface, now there you search for the truth, some find it, others do not.

2 Likes

Yet he left off ‘egotist.’

6 Likes

Tony’s ego is big enough to be a whole 'nother person.

6 Likes

Indeed.

His respect for women as human beings was lacking too, at least until he and Pepper started dating.

4 Likes

Plus Tony either inspired, equipped or created most of the villains he fought and some of the villains he didn’t.

Ironmonger and Whiplash built their suits using his Iron Man suit designs. He was the one who cracked the Extremis formula during a one night stand that led to the events Iron Man 3. His arc reactor tech powered the portal that let aliens invade New York. He built Ultron. He helped create the helicarriers that threatened humanity in Captain America: the Winter Soldier. His shitty attitude toward his employees created Mysterio, and Starks’ orbital weapons platform was the principal threat in Spider-Man: Far from Home.

For a guy who started his story arc with a revelation about how his weapons were making the world a worse place he sure did end up building a lot more weapons.

7 Likes

Here be spoilers…

I was all on board for the resolution to this, sure you get the fisticuffs to satisfy the punters watching a Marvel production but i still wish the confrontation between Vision and WhiteVision was all dialogue because the Ship of Theseus conversation reminded me of the best of Star Trek and was very satisfying. Any resolution that doesn’t involve more fisticuffs is a win in my book. It felt more in keeping with the character of Vision and i hope we haven’t seen the last of him because i love Paul Bettany’s take on the character even if bringing back that version of him would rob some of the impact of his final scenes.

1 Like

Of course the other Vision was also Bettany, doing a slightly different voice

1 Like

White Vision has got us all set up thinking he’s going to be the villain, and then, no, he’s just a(brief) antagonist. Director Hayward looks like the heavy for much of the show, but in the end, he’s just trying to take advantage of a bad situation he didn’t create. Even Agatha is basically doing the same thing, taking a dangerous opportunity and turning it to her advantage. No, the real villain all along, was Wanda herself - or at least her toxic grief. And instead of defeating these minor antagonists (or nemesis in Agatha’s case) she basically prevails over evil by getting over her own bad self!

In a genre known for lazy storytelling, this show manages to subvert our expectations in the best way.

3 Likes

Wanda was the villain for sure but i don’t think she atoned for what she did at all, i’m sure we were meant to sympathise with her because of what she lost and yet she still enslaved an entire town against their will. There has to be repercussions for that so i hope we’ll get to see what they are because she burned a lot of audience good will i think. Agatha was fascinating though, it’s my understanding that in the comics she sort of mentors Scarlet Witch and you could see her doing that here - okay, so it was to absorb her powers but it was still interesting.

1 Like

if you’re good at egotist you don’t know it.

Didn’t read any of that b/c I haven’t seen the show and probably will someday, but the comics really did a good job exploring his frustrations at dealing with the issue of who or what he considered himself to be. Especially when Wonder Man arrived back on the scene, that made things really weird. And of course Wonder Man had issues too, being dead then not dead, and being basically full of stars, and of course Cap also was dead then not dead…so basically the identity issue for superheroes was fodder for a lot of angst in the pages. Vizh was one of the most interesting situations though.

Ironically, the Ship of Theseus was about the only part of that series that I understood.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.