The Pinkertons' plan for climate change: a mercenary army that guards one-percenters as the seas rise

I said it before and Ill say it again. I side with Lemmy, 90s Airheads cliches be dammed.

As far as Im concerned, the pinkertons can fuck off and join the rich in this one.

2 Likes

19 Likes

BTW:

7 Likes

So before we eat the rich, we’ll have to eat the Pinkertons first. Got it.

10 Likes

Stop; you’re totally ruining the sadistic fantasy of an utterly hopeless dystopia upon which gleeful energy leeches would feast.

5 Likes

“We never sleep” indeed.

2 Likes

Once us peasants are dead, who’s going to grow your food and make your “luxury goods”? Pinkerton agents?

4 Likes

“The Earth is not dying, it is fighting an infection: humanity.” - me

4 Likes

The thing is, “us peasants” vastly outnumber the rich; and we won’t all die off all at once.

10 Likes

Once the system breaks down, money will lose its value. (That included precious metals - gold is worthless to a starving person) At that point the rich as just as f’ed as everyone else. Perhaps more so, since they mostly lack any useful skills.

7 Likes

Yeah, at some point Pinkerton does the math and determines it’s more profitable and less work to simply loot their clients instead of protecting them. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s Pinkerton’s plan from the start, actually.

12 Likes

Eh, I seen that movie a couple of years ago

3 Likes

3 Likes

The oligarchs only need the Pinkertons to protect the server where they’ve uploaded their consciousness to live foreeeeveerrrrr [jazzhands]

2 Likes

Anyone whose plans for immortality involve uploading themselves to some simulated paradise and then expecting the server monkeys to keep dutifully toiling in the data mines…should probably do some further thinking on the matter.

If you have clock-punchers they’ll sooner or later realize that the only person who is going to yell at them for screwing up the backups also is the backups which makes things a lot easier for them.

If you have enthusiasts they’ll probably come up with some use of compute time they find more interesting than you; and you’ll be re-niced or deleted.

If you get really unlucky things will take a turn for the Vault 112 and/or I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream; which will make immortality a bit less exciting.

12 Likes

Oh I fully agree, but people seem to actually have this as a plan so it seemed relevant.
and +6 points for “I Have No Mouth…”

4 Likes

Yeah there’s a notable lack of former plutocrats among the surviving members of humanity in postapocaliptic franchises like Mad Max or The Walking Dead.

4 Likes

The People Eater with his 3-piece suit and limousine being a prominent exception.

2 Likes

Truth is a perfect defense against libel and slander.
This is what the Pinkertons really are and always have been.

3 Likes

Convincing people that:

1. the problem is real
  2. there is something to be done about it, and
  3. There is a single best course of action to take, and you know it

…are three different things. Most people I talk to are on board with 1) but balk at 2) and are nowhere near discussing the possibility of 3).