The Pocket Book of Boners by Dr. Suess

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/10/the-pocket-book-of-boners-by-dr-suess.html

1 Like

I spent une bonne heure reading this.

10 Likes

He also drew political cartoons and lots of advertisements. If you don’t want to shell out $100+ for the original Boners book, you can see some examples of them and the rest in The Early Works of Dr. Seuss, Vol. 1. It’s on Kindle for $10.

8 Likes

bonerdisplay-1528151608

24 Likes

A true classic. Also, now “boner” doesn’t look like a word anymore.

7 Likes

I’ve certainly encountered more boners than I anticipated today.

7 Likes

My grandfather had a “Book of Boners”, I do not believe it was this one, but this definition.

1 Like

N.B. the committing of such a mistake is to “pull a boner”.

1 Like

Pulled a few in my day to be sure.

1 Like

I am curious about when innocuous words later turned in to salacious slang. I don’t think “boner” was ever used as a joke when I was growing up, though there was old media using the word so I knew what it meant in that context.

Jiz is another one. Did Edward R Burroughs coin that term? It is pretty damn funny Lucas wasn’t some Space Jazz in his space opera and called it - officially - Jizz music.

Someone should write a book on the entomology of these words! (I bet someone has)

3 Likes

Around the same vintage, I think, and also obsolete, is “to boob” meaning to commit an embarrassing mistake.

2 Likes

Batman Boner Alert GIF by MOODMAN

3 Likes

I read my father’s copy as an adolescent. The illustrations make some of the jokes hard to forget, such as,
“King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 porcupines.”

Copies are scarce, no recent reprints; prices start at $125.

1 Like

Second panel: Smiling lecherously as he’s looking down at something while talking about boners.

The Boners book was also available in, um, hard cover.

3 Likes

I prefer the abridged version.

5 Likes

i went diving in Bonaire. definitely hit the pocketbook.

1 Like

Sometimes I stop and ponder how weird it is that this sort of topic (anything phallic by design or present in unintentional thought) never ceases to amuse certain types.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.