The Price Is Right contestant from Massachusetts wins vacation to tropical New Hampshire

Originally published at: The Price Is Right contestant from Massachusetts wins vacation to tropical New Hampshire | Boing Boing

7 Likes
15 Likes

16 Likes

Just wait a few years and New Hampshire will become a tropical zone. I call it a win!

8 Likes

:musical_score:Moonlight in Vermont :musical_score:

6 Likes

Ah yes, I remember the first time my lifetime Colorado resident wife visited New England. Driving through multiple states in a couple hours kinda blew her mind.

Anyway, whenever TPIR gets a mention around here, I just need to point out how funky the theme music is. Check out that bass line!

9 Likes

Isn’t there a website where you can sell/trade travel packages? I feel like I saw that once.

6 Likes

Well, does she ski? The trails are at least better in NH.

4 Likes

Well at least it is a paid for vacation with a nice room etc? It’s good to get out of the house!

6 Likes

I haven’t watched TPIR in at least 25 years, but I swear the vacation prizes were always described as round trip airfare for two from Los Angeles along with accomodations and maybe an excursion. So did this Bostonian just win a trip from LA to New Hampshire? If that’s the case (or even if it isn’t the case) I hope she was able to take a cash equivalent in lieu of the prize.

7 Likes

Well, after she pays the taxes.

11 Likes

IIRC on some of these things, you an opt for a cash reward, usually less than the value of the prize, but easier to pay taxes on.

6 Likes

I read through your link, but I’m curious about whether out-of-state game show contestants who win money in CA (where the show is taped) have to file in CA? From what I understand, professional athletes have to pay various state taxes for the games played in different states. (I can see why they need to hire a CPA.)

6 Likes

I’m curious, too. I think it would be easier to know from the winnings stories of someone who played on Jeopardy rather than The Price is Right, because I believe TPR has more locals who have the free time to wait in line to compete at the studio, while Jeopardy recruits through the internet? I could be wrong.

4 Likes

Poorly kept secret in the game show world, but you can almost always take cash instead of your prize. The show already fulfills its commitment to the sponsor by featuring the product, so they don’t care.
Plus, since you basically have to pay your taxes ON THE SPOT, most people can’t even afford to go hoe with the prizes they won.

7 Likes

She won “$7696” for a “5-day vacation”…
So she’ll end up paying $500/day for her “free” vacation.

1 Like

As of this week, it’s too bad she doesn’t live there.

4 Likes

TPIR has two ticket classes. One of them is the wait in line group, and those are generally not eligible for the “come on down” part. The other fill out a questionaire and get reservation tickets, and those people are selected per their questionaires.

4 Likes

The beaches in New Hampshire are lovely this time of year. Strike that - the beach in New Hampshire.

6 Likes

From the small scale of the audience I just saw in the video attached to this topic, it looks like they’re only doing reservations or something similar. COVID has likely caused pretty heavy restrictions on how live audiences can be used.

2 Likes