The products most associated with emergency room visits

[Read the post]

Alcohol. Any questions?

14 Likes

Bed & Bed frames? What’ll I sleep on tonight? I very afraid!

3 Likes

“All injuries where a consumer product, sport, or recreational activity is associated with the reason for the visit or related to a condition treated.”

So, either automobiles are not a “consumer product”, or they are less dangerous than shopping carts (around the point of non-dangerousness where I couldn’t avoid skipping some of the items).

Hm.

4 Likes

Floors and stairs are “products”? I think they usually are not.

1 Like

That’s curious, considering the categories do include things like “all terrain vehicles”, “golf carts”, and “vehicles, not elsewhere classified (three or more wheels)”.

Also with their own categories: Pillows! Books! Knickknacks! Some interesting stories behind some of those, I’m sure.

4 Likes

Clearly, we need to ban chairs.

4 Likes

I also wonder how many people end up in the ER from smoking related disease.

2 Likes

Nails and screws are much more dangerous in the summer.

1 Like

I personally got a twofer. “Chairs” and “Desk supplies (excluding pens and pencils)” when I was racing backwards in my desk chair across a large empty room, hit a recess outlet in the floor with the leading rear wheel, fell over backwards, and broke my fall by slamming my palm down onto a stray binder clip that happened to be lying on the floor. Seven sutures and one month later I was all better with a cool shark fin shaped scar on my palm. But that was in 2015, so I’m not reflected in the 799 cases reported in the typical month in 2014.

6 Likes

I’m going to guess adding automobiles would make this chart a lot less “fun”.

+Automobiles
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+

• Other stuff
  • Other stuff
  • Other stuff
  • Etc.
6 Likes

“It was a million to one shot, doc.”

4 Likes

Mostly folks who slipped and fell on stuff…
30 Shocking X-Ray Images of Things People Have Stuck Up Their Butt - Uniform Stories

7 Likes

Flared bases, people. Safety first. Don’t they teach this stuff in school?

8 Likes

I’ll bet you’re right. The other elephant (not) in the room? Firearms, of course.

The presentation sure makes it look like the real threats to the wellbeing of USAsians, the sort of thing Trump should be promising to outlaw immediately, are actually:

• Cycling
  • Knives
  • Basketball
  • Personal hygiene
  • Sex/sleep/just chilling in bed
  • Walking into walls, doors, and ceilings (maybe you’re very tall?)
  • Stairs

And the #1 threat being, of course, floors. I guess that means walking, standing, dancing and any other ground-based activity gone wrong? Maybe gravity’s the real enemy.

5 Likes

Well, virtually all reported heart attacks and strokes are associated with the victims being in contact with a floor, and if that doesn’t establish causation…

3 Likes

This is just for the emergency room, right? I would guess that people injured by guns or cars don’t get their medical care that way.

Why not? I think anyone injured by a gun would go to the Emergency room vs what - scheduling an appointment 3 weeks out?

Ditto with car crashes. Lots of people even go to the ER with non-serious issues just to document everything for insurance or a concusion check.

4 Likes

They don’t come from the Floor Fairy.

3 Likes