"The Psychedelic Experience" a beautiful 1965 short film that was so controversial the filmmaker had to leave town

Originally published at: "The Psychedelic Experience" a beautiful 1965 short film that was so controversial the filmmaker had to leave town | Boing Boing

2 Likes

"‘Psychedelic’ means ‘mind expanding.’

This was on the $1.00 you know hollar “late night / midnight” movie circuit back in the 70’s. Yes I saw it stoned off my ass.

9 Likes

Speaking of Pscydelica - I am going to watch this episode of Dragnet this weekend. I found it is where the sound bite from My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult’s After the Flesh on The Crow soundtrack come from. As well as some other songs.

ETA - This is it!

6 Likes

Groovy Man

Makes me think of this…possibly an homage (?), considering Black’s other cinema references like Debaser on the Doolittle album.

1 Like

This is rather good. I never did mind-enhancers, but I used to occasionally slip into some ‘ego-less’ state. In this state, shapes, sounds, things just happen without any obvious structure. It stopped happening when something I saw linked with something I heard, such as seeing someone walking with the sound of their steps. The sound would be in advance of the vision until I noticed this, where it would sync up. Or there was some 3D object ‘over there’ which restarted my sense of perspective, and reminded me that this stuff was all viewed by someone from some viewpoint. The film tracks the disconnection of the senses, and their reconnection as I experienced it rather well. I don’t get the full-strength experience these days. but there was (I got) a hint of it when I watched the film.

Far out. and thanks! I love reliving San Francisco history of my teenage years.

Stop saying “controversial” when you really mean “angering small-minded people so much that they threaten the safety of others.”

It also seems to involve lots of sitar music

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.