The reason there's no Guy Fawkes mask in the British Museum's huge mask collection

There are photos of my brother, my sister and me looking like that; all covered in knitwear and chocolate spread.

11 Likes

In my area it was pronounced “Guy Forks”. I have introduced the event to my US neighbors and they all think it is crazy that we have an outdoor party at night in November. They like the mulled wine and fireworks though. The police used to visit too due to laws about fireworks in my residential neighborhood but they have since been repealed. Now the only limitation is having a bonfire larger than 3 by 3 feet not in a fire pit.
Completely unrelated to Guy Fawkes but related to pronunciation instead I give you the Two Ronnies: The Two Ronnies Fork Handles - Now 1080p - March 2019 - YouTube

5 Likes

We made a Maggie Thatcher mask and left the Guy sitting on a chair in the lift at work (this was for a work sponsored bonfire party). The Guy freaked people out at night when they entered the lift and we had complaints about our choice of mask so had to move it.

6 Likes

V&A Fawkes stuff

Nothing from the V&A National Childhood Collection, which might be expected to have it.

Have you tried the Pitt-Rivers? I hear they go in for ceremonial costume.

1 Like

That would be the Lewes Bonfire night which also commemorates the memory of the seventeen Protestant martyrs from the town burned at the stake. Never been to that one. They have a burning tar barrels run at the start of the night too.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting bit of horrible history.

1 Like

Well, she was pretty scary!

But it is a very fine tradition.

3 Likes

https://britisharchaeology.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/highlights/guy-fawkes-lantern.html

The Ashmolean has his lantern.

5 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. The British Museum isn’t exactly an ethnographic collection. At least not when it comes to local artefacts.

4 Likes

Alan Moore is from Northampton, David Lloyd is from London, Tony Weare was from Somerset. That’s not very American in my opinion.

The American film may have popularised the mask (resulting in lots of royalties for WB) and the comic was published by DC, but V for Vendetta is a very British creation originally created as a strip for Warrior.

7 Likes

I expect there will be a lot of Liz Truss guys this year, even with Putin looking like he would be the most popular design for most of this year.

4 Likes

Either way, the “Guy Fawkes” mask is a thing because of pop-culture, not an historical artefact or capital A art. Which makes it much more the V&A’s bag. Or the Cartoon Museum or the Design Museum.

(London really does have more than its fair share of museums, doesn’t it.)

3 Likes

It is The British Museum, FFS. U’d think items representing crucial periods of UK history’d be part of the show, innit.

Brief tangent:
Re: Th’ Louvre "need"ing things…
There’s a really cool Ancient Egyptian statue of the god Horus in Th’ Louvre what I’ve loved more than half my life:

I “need” an accurate reproduction of it.

4 Likes

I thought they were more interested in proprietorship of everyone else’s history.

4 Likes

It sure AF looks that way. ETA: Loot the empire is their normal modus operandi instead.

2 Likes

Poppycock. There’s always at least one lurking in the basement.

3 Likes

Thinking of masks in Britain, the ones that come to mind are Sutton Hoo (in the BM) and various folklore masks – various animals, notably horses, and maybe festival Green Man(?).

The British Museum has over a thousand masks, as you might expect, most of them are not from Britain.

This is from the Wellcome (medical museum) collection, it is unclear where the costumes are from, where they are now or even if they still exist (found in the Getty image collection).

3 Likes

“Never ask a woman her age, a man his salary, or the British where they got all the stuff in their museums”, as they say

7 Likes

So? For all we know those were made in the 19th century as an illustration of what a 14th century plague doctor on the Continent might have looked like.

2 Likes

Yes, which is why I wrote this bit and did not make any claims for them.

it is unclear where the costumes are from, where they are now or even if they still exist (found in the Getty image collection)

The Getty caption reads “Plague Doctors 1665, Protective clothing on display at the Welcome Museum worn by doctors treating patients during the Great Plague of 1665. (Photo by General Photographic Agency/Getty Images)”

3 Likes