The Rolling Stone released Paint it Black on May 13, 1966

Originally published at: The Rolling Stone released Paint it Black on May 13, 1966 | Boing Boing

3 Likes
9 Likes

Also used to strong effect in “Westworld” (pity the show took such a nosedive after season 1).

6 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

I am not a big Rolling Stones fan. I get their appeal at least, but Paint it Black is the only song of theirs I really like.

2 Likes

My high school electro goth band did a cover back in ‘87, predating even the Bunnymen. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Surprisingly, “Paint It, Black” was released earlier in the US, on May 7, a Saturday.

My band was in a “Battle of the Bands” the following day. We rushed out and bought the 45 as soon as the store opened, learned it that afternoon, and played it in the “battle”. Minds were blown.

I was fifteen… this was a big deal.

8 Likes

Before Westworld it was the them to Tour of Duty on CBS.

“I love knowing that the Rolling Stones started as blues cover band”

Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Animals, The Yardbirds, The Doors, Jethro Tull, etc. etc. etc. While not all “official” blues cover bands, the first few albums of all of them cover a lot of blues songs. I love the rock versions, but I do always like listening to the original versions to compare.

1 Like

Anish Kapoors theme song…

…prick

Live footage of your HS band… not the Paint It Black cover, tho…

1 Like

Um, yeah, no. Are they important to rock history? Sure. Did they do some good stuff? Absolutely. (And a lot of really, really terrible stuff on multiple levels.) Would the world of rock music been any worse off had they broken up in the late 1960s? That’s a hard no in my book. They were one of many working-class blues-inspired bands coming up in Britain at the time — they just happened to be one of the ones that hit it big.

6 Likes

That’s good stuff!

Golden State Warriors Reaction GIF by NBA

2 Likes

Just what the doctor ordered.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.