The rumors about an Ebola outbreak at Burning Man are false

Gathering tens of thousands of people in a huge mud-pit with no plumbing, no sewage system and no way to stay dry is a recipe for major health emergencies, Ebola or not.

7 Likes

… “blue checks” don’t mean anyone has verified anything anymore

6 Likes

…from now on, Cory Doctorow must be known as “Burning Man Hercule Poirot” :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

I know that they’re unable to empty the existing porta-johns, but I wonder how logistically feasible it would be to airlift more of them on site to help mitigate that issue. I guess with a crowd that big any mitigations that could make a real dent would be difficult on short notice though.

That part. The town I grew up in was only a bit larger than these 60,000 people. Right now, I’m thinking about the size of the town’s sewage treatment plant, and the fact that the local hospital had five stories above ground.

“Emergency mode” would require less stuff than a normally-functioning town, of course. But it would still need a lot, if this lasts for another day or so.

I’ve never been to Burning Man, and haven’t wanted to since I was in my 20s. My best feelings about it were that it was an attempt to simplify and focus on community while having fun. This year, it’s been a pretty vivid demonstration of community and just how many assumptions about climate a functioning community rests on.

8 Likes

If they don’t have any better options available then even sending an all-terrain transport filled with sealable buckets would be better than nothing. Once attendees run out of places to poo things are gonna get really ugly really fast.

5 Likes

AIUI first few years of Burning Man were basically beer parties on the beach, in the City

Burning Man As We Know It has to be understood as what it is the opposite of

Neighbors complaining?

Go where there are no neighbors

Environmental concerns?

Go where there is no environment

Meddling Bureaucrats?

Go where there is no government

If they could do Burning Man on the moon, then that’s where it would be happening :waxing_crescent_moon:

4 Likes

The problem is, they have an airport nearby specifically created for this. It’s FAA location is 88NV. It’s got three runways and a helipad, all coned out and painted with biodegradble paint, but it’s also all on packed surface, aka, it’s all 100% mud and completely unsafe to land on.

There’s no airlifting when you can’t physically land anywhere.

3 Likes

Pop Tv What GIF by Schitt's Creek

Did they really think that a desert isn’t an environment?

11 Likes

“No, it’s beyond the environment. It’s not in an environment.”

8 Likes

Helicopters don’t need to land to airlift a portapotty.

5 Likes

Beat me to it.

Something is going around there and hitting a large number of attendees

Dysentery, the bane of large unsanitary encampments anywhere.

I was thinking helicopters, but yeah, those are less capable than airplanes for large amounts of cargo.

Since they’re already doing a bunch of medical airlifts maybe each incoming helicopter could at least drop off a few hundred buckets with lids for sanitation as @Brainspore mentioned.

2 Likes

Those evacs aren’t medical, they’re overland.

professional-poo-diver-1413241024752

6 Likes

(You know this image would work just fine in the thread about diarrhea on an airplane)

3 Likes

The thumbs would not be up.

If I was in such a situation, and the seals on my dry suit, gloves, and helmet neck dam were all holding, I’d give it two thumbs up. Both as a “hurrah, it’s working!” and “get me out of here, that way!”

3 Likes

TrueAnon rpisode 318: B For Ebola

We talk about the Ebola outbreak at Burning Man, and the trickster, the tricks, and the tricked.