The Satanic Temple in Texas is suing the state due to new abortion restrictions

Originally published at: The Satanic Temple in Texas is suing the state due to new abortion restrictions | Boing Boing

12 Likes

On behalf of TST member “Ann Doe,” TST is suing the state of Texas for imposing medically unnecessary abortion regulations including a sonogram, a forced decision to reject the ‘opportunity’ of seeing the sonogram results, the forced listening to a narrative of the sonogram results, and a mandatory waiting period between the sonogram and the abortion.

It’s like the torture is more important than saving a fetus.

31 Likes

It’s like a government takeover of healthcare might be necessary. Cause, you know, “life.”

11 Likes

Finally, a religion that does some good in the world!

22 Likes

It’s clever, it’s funny, but a 6-3 SCOTUS majority will blithely slap this down as “farcical” and “not a true religion.” (Maybe even 7-2, if Breyer hasn’t read The Ginburg Recalcitrance and stays on past 2022.)

The same way they told Native Americans that their 5000 year old tradition of consuming peyote buttons wasn’t traditional enough to warrant protection.

13 Likes

Wrong thread?

2 Likes

Oops, how did that happen? Sheesh. Thanks for the h/u.

2 Likes

tumblr_2299e3ef934f0c36fb3e9f217ebb00dd_1dd2fc57_1280

19 Likes

Said it before, I’ll say it again: The cruelty IS the purpose!

I love the way the Satanic Temple uses the GOP’s own sacred cows against them.

29 Likes

My hunch is that they anticipate not winning this lawsuit, which in turn might give them the ability to challenge other rulings against established religions. But of course the best case scenario is that they are successful in this particular challenge

14 Likes

Doing the lord’s work.

17 Likes

34 Likes

16 Likes

Sorta disappointed in the FSM adherents for not suing to wear a metal strainer over the stomach to protect the fetus during sonogram.

17 Likes

There was a group in the '90s called the Church of Euthanasia that would show up to counterprotests with signs that said things like FETUSES ARE FOR SCRAPING

The idea was to keep the Overton window wide open by publicly taking the most extreme position possible, but that might not work in today’s media environment

15 Likes

Bless ‘em

6 Likes

In the Christian Bible, there is a passage in which God indicates the scenario in which an abortion is required to be initiated and provides the instructions on how to do it. (If a woman is pregnant and it is suspected that it’s not her husband’s.)

Which means it would be great if a rebel Christian group joined forces with the Satanic Temple on this, just to increase the pressure of opposition.

19 Likes
7 Likes

Did they? I would be interested in learning more about this. Although it would hardly be a surprise to find peyote use goes back a long way, the tradition I know about is the Native American Church, which only goes back to the 1800s. Even so I understand they are specifically exempt from it being a controlled substance. Is that a reversal of some previous decision, or are there other traditions that it ignores that you’re referring to?

4 Likes

The IRS granted the Satanic temple tax exempt status, so…

10 Likes