"The Satanic Verses" author Salman Rushdie attacked on stage in New York

Updated details, sounds like the attack caused some very serious injuries including eye, nerve and liver damage. Just awful.

22 Likes

That’s so fucked up.

SMGDH

16 Likes

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Tell us another one… Also, go ask Scott Tiller about Christian extremists… oh wait, you can’t he was fuckin’ shot by one of them…

14 Likes

Someone should get Cat Stevens’ take on this.

2 Likes

9 Likes
13 Likes

I was curious so I checked his twitter.

15 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/13/us/salman-rushdie-attacked-saturday/index.html

The institution’s leadership had rejected recommendations for basic security measures, including bag checks and metal detectors, fearing that would create a divide between speakers and the audience, according to two sources who spoke with CNN. The leadership also feared that it would change the culture at the institution, the sources said.

Guess they don’t have to worry about that anymore. How can people be so naïve?

15 Likes

Not really surprising, Yusuf Islam (né Cat Stevens) started walking back his original stupid comments about the Rushdie fatwa almost immediately after he made them over 33 years ago.

10 Likes

That should be . e is feminine.

5 Likes

15 Likes

I was wondering why they didn’t have any security in place; sadly, pure foolishness seems to be the answer…

12 Likes

Chatauqua is one of those wonderfully idealistic hippie commune style academic venues that is perhaps too pure for the world we live in. It was a great place to see some fascinating speakers the few times I’ve been. But yeah…foolishly naive to danger sounds about on brand.

8 Likes

Seems like Rushdie (or his booking agent) would have had some say in the security arrangements too. Maybe spending decades living under heavy security was just wearing on the guy and he started letting his guard down.

8 Likes

What’s the feminine for Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z’nourrwringmm?

8 Likes
1 Like

I don’t believe it. The Knights of Ni did not request a bonsai arrangement for their shrubbery.

5 Likes

I would’ve assumed he’d be more mindful of security than them. But I’d have also assumed that they’d have seen the times a-changing and included something in the way of security. Maybe they just assumed that nobody would ever be in danger in the Sesame Street meets Ted Talk world they built in that place. Very sad all around.

3 Likes

Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

7 Likes

Not anymore…

10 Likes