The Saturday morning body horror that was Turbo Teen

Originally published at: The Saturday morning body horror that was Turbo Teen | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Maybe the most notable thing about this cartoon is that it was where animator David Silverman got his start before he went on to help create The Simpsons.

3 Likes

He’s since said in multiple interviews that he nearly left the animation business because of how bad that and other contemporary shows were. Glad he stuck around.

6 Likes
1 Like

oblig-o-robot-chicken…

still misses out on the obvious horror of car transformers in general: what happens if someone is riding in the car form when the transformation occurs? (“and did any rider ever get in one of the cars from “Cars”; they had doors didn’t they?”?)

3 Likes

Nothing good.

7 Likes

I’ll wait for David Cronenberg’s reimagining.

3 Likes

I was a too old for this one and thought it dumb, and could clearly see it was riffing off Knight Ryder. But I’m sure older kids thought the ones I loved were dumb, too. Jokes on them, everyone knows there was nothing dumb about Land of the Lost!

6 Likes

I think I might have watched one episode of it, and then went back to Loony Tunes, or playing with my toys back them. It was pretty awful even to younger Me.

1 Like

This disappeared down the ol’ collective memory hole for such a long time that I almost wondered if it was some kind of fever dream. (Is anything truly lost anymore? Probably.)

I might suggest this, but the website seems to be having conniptions. Fortunately it made it to publication and you might yet find the dead tree edition.

2 Likes

I am reminded of Heat Vision and Jack.

1 Like

Even at 11, I hated this show. And yet I ended up watching most of them because the time slot just worked that way. Are 8 episodes really lost? That’s surprising.

The wonderful 1900-HOTDOG boys tackled this touchy topic in a recent(ish) podcast. I can’t include a link but of you search “1900hotdog” and “turbo teen” you may or may not enjoy.

If only people had paid attention to this message from the “Korean Ending” of Clerks the Animated Series

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.